Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q165: Your face is a picture!

Richard
UK Correspondent
#1 · Posted: 1 Apr 2007 23:39
Of the many pictures hanging in the "portrait gallery" at the front and back of each book, which two exist in the Tintinverse as seen here, and in which albums can they be found?
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 2 Apr 2007 00:02
Do you mean which two of the framed portraits actually appear (as framed portraits) within the adventures, rather than just in the "portrait gallery" endpapers?

If so, I think the endpaper portrait gallery features the portrait of Sir Francis Haddock, which appears in The Secret of the Unicorn; and that portrait of Abdullah that features in Land of Black Gold (which Sheik Ben Kalish Ezab shows to Tintin so he knows what Abdullah looks like).
Richard
UK Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 2 Apr 2007 00:56
Balthazar
Do you mean which two of the framed portraits actually appear (as framed portraits) within the adventures, rather than just in the "portrait gallery" endpapers?

Yes, that's right! As far as I can see only two fulfill that criteria ...

If so, I think the endpaper portrait gallery features the portrait of Sir Francis Haddock, which appears in The Secret of the Unicorn; and that portrait of Abdullah that features in Land of Black Gold (which Sheik Ben Kalish Ezab shows to Tintin so he knows what Abdullah looks like).

... and you got one of them! Sir Francis Haddock's portrait appears in Unicorn, but the portrait of Abdullah in Black Gold isn't in the endpapers. So there's still another out there ...
maxmordon
#4 · Posted: 2 Apr 2007 03:42
I think is either the Arumbayan fetish or the portrait of the Syldavian king
labrador road 26
#5 · Posted: 2 Apr 2007 08:50
Had there actually been a camera in the camera the picture of Tintin and Chang in the gallery might have been the same as the photograph on page 48 in Blue Lotus.
tuhatkauno
#6 · Posted: 2 Apr 2007 11:11
Take a look at the picture of Mitsuhirato (Lotus, 61). Pretty close but not enough.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#7 · Posted: 2 Apr 2007 14:53
Wow, quite a few responses - but not the one I'm looking for!

The Ottokar portrait is a close call, but it doesn't have a frame in the book; as Balthazar clarified, you're looking for "two of the framed portraits [that] actually appear (as framed portraits)".

One of them is Sir Francis Haddock's portrait, but there's one more to find that appears exactly as seen in the endpapers. It's not twenty-four hours on yet, but time for a clue all the same: we can assume that both the portraits are owned by the same person - or at least, belong to the same estate.
labrador road 26
#8 · Posted: 2 Apr 2007 19:32
I found it, but I will probably break some rule if I'll tell which one it is. Though my first post about the non-existent photo was more a reflection about the similarity than an actual answer, I'll give it a go. Sorry if I break the rules by this.

The Calculus portrait next to the indian from Tintin in America is the same as the one Haddock toasts in Seven crystal balls, although in the book the poor captain get a response. Better stay away from that bottle and give to Snowy instead.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#9 · Posted: 2 Apr 2007 20:09
labrador road 26
The Calculus portrait next to the indian from Tintin in America is the same as the one Haddock toasts in Seven crystal balls, although in the book the poor captain get a response. Better stay away from that bottle and give to Snowy instead.

That's it! The professor's portrait - presumably commissioned by Haddock in a gesture of thanks for buying Marlinspike Hall - is accurately reproduced in the endpapers.

Technically you didn't actually offer an answer in your first post, more a musing that it would have been right had there been a camera in the box. Score-wise, although Balthazar found the first picture he missed the second, so I'm inclined to give the point to you, labrador road 26*, and you set the next question.

* If the Score Keeper agrees, of course! What say you, Ed?
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#10 · Posted: 2 Apr 2007 21:53
Sounds fair enough to me if you think so, Richard - over to you, labrador road 26.

Ed

This topic is closed.