Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q173: Find the connection

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

tuhatkauno
#1 · Posted: 9 Apr 2007 23:04
All sprite
What connects following words?
Greece, a seaman, Switzerland
It is not Rastapopoulos, so find the connection.
alvarolino
#2 · Posted: 10 Apr 2007 05:00
Let me have a try.
I think the words make reference to the celebrities who served as models for the following characters:
- Basil Bazaroff (Sir Basil Zaharoff from GREECE);
- The Captain of the gun runner's vessel in Cigars of the Pharaoh (the SEAMAN Henry de Monfreid);
- Professor Cuthbert Calculus (Professor Auguste Piccard from SWITZERLAND).
tuhatkauno
#3 · Posted: 10 Apr 2007 07:58
Hey alvarolino,

I'm so sorry but "celebrities behind the characters" is not the answer. You know a lot of these things, I have never heard of de Monfreid but Basil Zaharoff sounds familiar to me somehow.

The answer is in the Tintin world, and it can be found only by reading Tintin albums. I hope The Team won't chide me for failing alvarolino's answer this time. No extra information is needed.
tintinspartan
#4 · Posted: 10 Apr 2007 08:35
Is it something to do with the Calculus Affair? First thing, Greece. A Macedona Cigarrette Box was seen in that flick. Second, a Seaman; is it Captain Haddock. And thirdly, Switzerland, Geneva. To simplify things, here's my answer in point form:

Final Answer
Greece: Macedonia Cigarettes
Seaman: Captain Haddock
Switzerland: Geneva

That's It: The Calculus Affair! It's Professor Calculus Kidnapping from The Boudarians. A Maccedonia brand cigarette was found by Captain Haddock and stated a hotel name, Cornavin along with a city name, Geneva. Tintin, with Haddock sets off to Geneva Switzerland to save Calculus.

I tell you, tuhatkano. Your question took me almost a day for me to crack it out. I'm a bit like Tintin; solving codes and puzzles. Well, answered your Calculus Affair?

P.S Sorry for the incident on Q. 172. I'm sorry, again
tuhatkauno
#5 · Posted: 10 Apr 2007 09:14
hello, Ed and tintinspartan

This is complicated (typical for me). Tintinspartan's answer is not what I'm looking for. The answer is not the name of some album. But there is a point in tintinpsartan's answer, though he/she didn't noticed it complitely. Ed, can we discuss it later after finding the right answer.

So, tintinspartan, please wait for the final judgement and you may earn a point. You are like Tintin and I'm like Haddock hard but righteous.

And the others, keep on thinking. The answer is not a name of an album. You need more than one album to solve this problem. In the evening I'll give some more words.
tuhatkauno
#6 · Posted: 10 Apr 2007 16:32
It is time to give one word.

Greece, a seaman, Switzerland, a bedouin

More words is coming later this evening.
tuhatkauno
#7 · Posted: 10 Apr 2007 18:58
It is time to give one word before UCL games.

Greece, a seaman, Switzerland, a bedouin, China

During UCL halftime I'll give 6 th. word.
tuhatkauno
#8 · Posted: 10 Apr 2007 20:37
Halftime word:

Greece, a seaman, Switzerland, a bedouin, China,
a (car) mechanic

Here are six words now.
labrador road 26
#9 · Posted: 10 Apr 2007 22:05
Does it have anything with the Thompson's disguises?

Haven't checked the books, but as far as I remember the dress up in greek traditional garb in Destination Moon, as sailors in Land of black gold (or is it Red Rackham's treasure), swiss traditional costumes somewhere (don't remember where), as bedouins in Cigars of the pharaoh, chinese old-style in Blue Lotus, and mechanics in beginning of Land of black gold.
tuhatkauno
#10 · Posted: 10 Apr 2007 22:29
Absolut, Thompson's disguises are the connection. The point and turn is yours Labrador.

And now tintinspartan, sorry, I misremembered one disguise. The Calculus Affair can't be the connection, Switzerland ok, seaman ok, but Greece has nothing to do with Affair. So, no point this time.

And next alvarolino, sorry, no point. I am bit stingy concerning points, as you well know.

But there is good old Ed, who will make the final decision.

Oh yes, I forgot. Ed, I wanted to think of tintinspartans answer, but there is no need any more. And it's ok if you think alvarolino earn a point d:)

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

This topic is closed.