Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q173: Find the connection

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#11 · Posted: 10 Apr 2007 23:17
But there is good old Ed, who will make the final decision.

Actually you make the decision to award points, I will only adjudicate if necessary. In this case it's pretty clear.

Congratulations labrador road 26!

Ed
yamilah
#12 · Posted: 11 Apr 2007 00:26
Would you consider it's fairplay to give clues before 24 hours after the question is set, considering rule #04?
tuhatkauno
#13 · Posted: 11 Apr 2007 07:52
yamilah

I had a hunch that I had to give many clues, and in this particular case many words. And I thought it's pointless to give all the words at the same time in the middle of the night instead of using the "word by word" techique.

Would you consider

No I wouldn't, I am sorry.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#14 · Posted: 11 Apr 2007 09:54
Would you consider it's fairplay to give clues before 24 hours after the question is set, considering rule #04?

I don't think that's a problem, given that the rule is there simply to keep the game moving - the emphasis is on providing a clue as soon as possible after 24 hours have elapsed.

Ed
tintinspartan
#15 · Posted: 11 Apr 2007 09:55
Hello, you may be cheating OK. I'll make a complain saying that you cheated me of my effort. I just don't want to scold you but I have to because you got to do more Tintin comic research as you have a sense of unfairness back there. You released 3 words at first and then you gave another one because of that Ok.

The last question that was setted by myself. You gave an answer which was correct but I was a bit disappointed because those are not quite the answers I expect. So tuhatkano, Any response to this!?
tuhatkauno
#16 · Posted: 11 Apr 2007 10:42
hello tintinspartan, calm down

You have only one turn to answer and you used it. I said "wait, I'll think if you have answered correctly to the question". So I checked The Calculus Affair if there is a connection to Greece and I didn't find anything. So you answered wrongly. Where is the problem? Then I gave extra words, but you would not be allowed to answer anyway, since you had already used your turn.

Your question then, there are very few of us who can read somebody else's mind, and God bless I cannot.

Hey, this is supposed to be fun and only little bit serious. Bye :)
jock123
#17 · Posted: 11 Apr 2007 11:14
Moderator Hat on:
I think we are all going to have to cool off here, and not resort to name-calling and accusations, please!

tuhatkauno, I think you are going to have to look again at the answer which tintinspartan gave and re-consider what was said. I have looked at the answer, and I think the three conditions which you asked to be met have been, to wit, something which connects the three items you wanted.

Macedonia is a region in Greece, and the brand of cigarettes; Haddock is a sailor, and they and Switzerland appear in The Calculus Affair.

The fact that when you added extra information this answer no longer applied is moot, tintinspartan's answer still stands as your question was originally given.

It is up to you as the question setter to make sure that the question and answer are specific as possible, or you have to do the work and disprove answers that, when they are given, don't match your own solution.

I would strongly advise you, and any future question setters, to stick to answers which are unique and easily verifiable; questions given as you did yours, are vague, and, as has been demonstrated, very much open to alternative interpretations.

As to the giving of clues before 24 hours have elapsed, I would counsel against it.

The delay was intended to give everyone in the many time-zones we cover time to read and consider the question.

Adding extra information too soon sort of spoils the fun. The purpose of the game was to introduce little snippets of genuine trivia for the entertainment of members, not to create tortured riddles, which then get treated as a speed-challenge for a very small number of participants.

Also in this case it fundamentally changed the possible answers, as far as I can see, with difficult results...

Unless anyone can see a flaw in tintinspartan's answer, and say clearly why it doesn't make a legitimate solution to the original question, I think a point should be awarded, and, sadly, I think labrador road may have been too late.
tuhatkauno
#18 · Posted: 11 Apr 2007 11:21
Ok, I agree Jock

After reconsidering a point and a turn to tintinspartan and a point to labrador.

Sorry for the mess.
alvarolino
#19 · Posted: 11 Apr 2007 13:22
Hi Jock,
What about my answer?
Could I claim a point too?
tuhatkauno
#20 · Posted: 11 Apr 2007 14:07
Yes,I forgot, a point to you alvarolino.

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

This topic is closed.