Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q216: Premonition?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

tuhatkauno
#11 · Posted: 10 May 2007 08:30
Pax tintinspartan, this is just a game. :-)

Now I got it, it's not difficult any more.

EDIT: but yes it is after all
tintinspartan
#12 · Posted: 11 May 2007 02:19
Anyone can clear up this miscleancy of the question. Anoter Question is been set by someone but let's resolve it, quickly just to keep the game back on track again.
waveofplague
#13 · Posted: 11 May 2007 02:39
At one time Haddock is very close to seeing something that could have given him a clue of what's to come.

We as readers see the clue or connection but it slips Haddock totally by. Another connection could be made by another part of the same thing that Haddock didn't notice and the thing Haddock are doing when the scene occurs. The first connection is also visible on the cover of the same book. (The connection or clue is not necessary for the captain to handle things better in the future just seems funny.)

What's the connection, and what scene is described?

In the scene there is also a third connection visible to something Haddock will later encounter and not like at all.

Not to make this answer collide with something else in the books, Haddock is by himself when the scene occurs.

Sorry for this cryptic formulation, but since I'm swedish I don't know how to word this in a better way.

OK, I'm just going to go ahead and guess, even though I have doubts about my answer, because I fear that at any second I could be too late.

Scene: Crab with Golden Claws, Tintin enters the Captain's cabin. Haddock is "very close to seeing" the two boards tied together that Tintin chucks through the sabord to gain entry to the cabin. The boards are one connection in that they connect Tintin to the Captain.

The second connection is the whisky/adult beverage which can be seen on the cover of the book. It is also present in the scene I have described and later on is visible all throughout this particular album in one form or another. The event which Haddock does not like is the shooting of the bottle, thus wasting the drink.

Haddock comes to know Tintin, a very major character, by way of the events that transpire in this scene.

OK I doubt that was correct but I thought I should try. Labrador, even though we were all totally perplexed it was a good, but vague, question. :) The question was positively charismatic and I think we all crave the answer.
tintinspartan
#14 · Posted: 11 May 2007 06:06
Well, we are all greddy, I must say
labrador road 26
#15 · Posted: 11 May 2007 07:16
Very good tries lads and perhaps lassies but no cigars this time.

Well now it's time to reveal the answer, I sure hope this question wasn't deemed impossible so I would get a point deducted. If all will please have a look at page 2 in Red Rackham's Treasure and I'll explain it.

Haddock bumps into a advertisment-thingy (don't know the correct term for this sort of thing) and we as readers see some of the ads that Haddock don't see (at least not shown in the frames). What caught my attention is the name Periscope Cinema, where is periscopes found if not on submarines and Haddock will later in this book get close to a sub, although without periscope, but none the less a submarine. The shark-sub is of course also visible on the cover, this time with Tintin and Snowy but the connection is the sub and not the characters.

The same poster have the name Orson Welles three times and this real person is mostly famed for a film that is by many considered as the best film ever, Citizen Kane, which is about a newspaper publisher and Haddock is reading a newspaper. I could't find any movie connected to Mr. Welles that is named Me so that seems to be made up.

The third connection is the poster above which is about some opera, and Haddock sooner than he likes encounter the famous opera-singer Bianca Castafiore, first only seen by him in the very next book and later on even up close. As we all know Haddock do not fancy Castafiore the least.

If you have look on my original post and the page it would hopefully make sense now. I'm sorry if the only way I saw to write this question was very cryptic, but the questions are not easy to find since you all know so much and I believe the questions should be somewhat challenging.

Maybe the jumpstarted question will now be opened up or someone else will post a new one, that is up to the moderators and score-keeper to decide.

By the way, was this the scene you later found Tuhatkauno?

EDIT: sorry forgot the clue, which is of course the connection to Calculus, the inventor of the submarine and soon to be a major character in the books.
tuhatkauno
#16 · Posted: 11 May 2007 09:21
Tjänare

I had that scene under my nose from the beginning, there are not very many interesting scenes where Captain is alone and this was one possible canditate. But I'm old-fashioned bloke and I read Finnish albums (though I have those three-in-ones)and there was no periscope or Citizen Kane in Finnish pole. But if I had read it in English, I would hardly have solved it anyway.

He, he, your question was a real "Swedish bluff(ing)". Let me explain. "Swedish bluff" is a Finnish sport term used in ice hochey or floor ball. It means something like this:

"give a left turning signal and pass on the right"

And tomorrow Swedish bluff is desperately needed against Russians. :-)

EDIT: No Orson Welles either but three times Sacha Quitry?
toydreamer
#17 · Posted: 11 May 2007 11:25
Well... I like hard clues... gets people thinking.

But i have to say, I'll be watching this judgment pretty closely :)
waveofplague
#18 · Posted: 11 May 2007 11:52
Damn, I would never have guessed it.
tintinspartan
#19 · Posted: 11 May 2007 15:44
Pretty damn hard! Well, a good 'Tintin' brain-teaser.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#20 · Posted: 11 May 2007 18:14
I have to agree with the prevailing opinion I'm afraid. I'm not sure that Haddock's encounter with the advertising-stand has a strong enough link to future events to be termed a 'premonition'.

A much stronger example of one is the magpie seen in the very first frame of The Castafiore Emerald, though of course this wouldn't fit the confines of your question. I appreciate the difficulty with the language barrier though.

Sorry labrador road, you've done well so far, but this one just doesn't cut it in my opinion! I'll see what the other Mods think.

Ed

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

This topic is closed.