Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q232: Object that spells like a country

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

yamilah
#1 · Posted: 25 May 2007 09:16
Aside from a few Malta/ Maltese crosses, which metallic object drawn by Hergé does spell like a country's name?

Please quote album and page.
tuhatkauno
#2 · Posted: 25 May 2007 09:39
Is the country's name you are looking for in basic form (like Malta, not Maltese)?
yamilah
#3 · Posted: 25 May 2007 10:54
tuhatkauno
Is the country's name you are looking for in basic form (like Malta, not Maltese)?

Yes, it's this country's very name, not just the related adjective.
labrador road 26
#4 · Posted: 25 May 2007 13:02
Are you perhaps looking for the Bordurian car from The Calculus Affair?
http://www.aquitaine33.com/atlas/edition3.htm

http://dardel.info/tintin/indexE.html

Borduria does not exist in the real world so this might be wrong if your asking about a real country.
Ranko
#5 · Posted: 25 May 2007 13:16
labrador road 26
http://www.aquitaine33.com/atlas/edition3.htm

Please excuse me, yamilah for hijacking your thread, but there are some lovely looking models on this site. Do you have any more info, labrador? Are these things readily available.

No attempt at the question this time, I'm afraid. Hijack over, carry on :-)
labrador road 26
#6 · Posted: 25 May 2007 14:32
Do you have any more info, labrador? Are these things readily available.

Sorry for the interruption in the quiz. Yes they are sold by both Tintin.com and the various Tintin-shops. Here in Sweden there is a subscription-service so you get one new car monthly-ish. There is probably a thread somewhere in this forum that have more information about the vehicles. The price in Sweden is about 20 euro for each car. They are made by the company Édition Atlas and are all made in scale 1:43 so they all fit nicely together.

Once again sorry for this off-topic post.
yamilah
#7 · Posted: 26 May 2007 09:11
Sorry for interrupting the discussion about cars' models.

Here are the clues to the original question:
- the name of the -real- country has two different spellings.
- the object is not named properly in the book.
toydreamer
#8 · Posted: 26 May 2007 09:58
Hmm... I'll go page 44 from Tintin and the Picaros.

The guy throws a tear gas grenade.

Grenade = Grenada.

?
yamilah
#9 · Posted: 26 May 2007 11:16
toydreamer
a tear gas grenade.

Nice attempt, but your object doesn't spell like Grenada, isn't patently metallic, and is named properly in the book ("A teeny tear-gas grenade", p.44-C2).

The wanted country has two different spellings in English.
Balthazar
#10 · Posted: 26 May 2007 20:44
The only country I can think of which shares its name with a metal object is Guinea. The guinea was a gold coin that was originally worth a British pound, but which rose in value - because of a rise in the price of gold - to a shilling more than a pound.

However, I can't find any guineas in the Tintin books. Although a guinea remains a recognised amount of money to this day (£1.05 in modern decimal money), the coin itself was discontinued a couple of centuries ago, I think.

One of the Thom(p)sons tries to pay for their drinks with a coin near the beginning of The Crab with the Golden Claws. It turns out to be a counterfeit, which might fit your clue about it being wrongly named. He says it's a fifty pence coin in the modern English edition, though I seem to remember it being a predecimal coin in earlier Methuen editions. However, I'm pretty sure that this was a half crown coin (worth two shillings and sixpence), not a guinea (which, as I said, wasn't minted as a single coin in the 20th century) so I don't think this can be it, even if you're setting the question from an old edition!

In any case, I don't think the country Guinea can be spelt two different ways, so I'm pretty sure barking up the wrong tree. But, like I said, that was the only metallic-object-named country I could think of, so I've mentioned it anyway, just in case anyone else can find a guinea coin in the Tintin books.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

This topic is closed.