Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q237: Haddock's outfit

Mark Falconer
#1 · Posted: 31 May 2007 03:09
Should be simple enough for you all.

Tintin is famous for his disguises - and the Thompsons infamous for theirs! But Captain Haddock always comes to our mind as the naval man, in the blue jersey with faint anchor, black slacks, and naval cap.

Captain Haddock, however, is found in an outfit that differs from that in at least one article in every book he appears but one. (The cap comes and goes at arbitrary times - for example, it disappears off of his head on page 8 of Flight 714 and doesn't appear again for the rest of the book. I presume it is lost and that he gets another for his adventures in Latin America. Exclude those instances.) Which one is that?
tintinspartan
#2 · Posted: 31 May 2007 03:36
Let Me Guess. I made a list of Captain Haddock Disguises. I can't understand your question and I just listed it down.

1. Haddock in Safari Cap-The Crab With The Golden Claws

2. Haddock in Naval Uniform and Coat-The Shooting Star

3. Haddock wearing Monocles and Suit till pg 27 of The Seven Crystal Ball, where he discards his good life attire for his sailor attire.

4. Haddock with a Peruvian Poncho in Prisoners of The Sun

5. Haddock in Overall Uniform and was without his cap from pg 10 of Destination Moon till the end of Explorers on the Moon.

6. Haddock with a false blond beard and wig in The Calculus Affair

7. Haddock was missing his sweater, cap and jacket after they were brought aboard Rastapopoulos's yacht. He got himself a regular men's uniform after that. Very Charming, Haddock.

8. Tintin in Tibet: Haddock in Plus Fours and Winter Jacket.

9. The Castafiore Emerald: Haddock discards his regular attire after the Paris-Flash Interview for Suits and an array of ties, just to look acceptable to Bianca Castafiore.

10. Already Stated from Question Setter

11. Haddock lost his coat. He was also in Jolly Follies Uniform in Tintin and the Picaros
Mark Falconer
#3 · Posted: 31 May 2007 04:01
OK, that's good, but what I am asking is, which is the book where Haddock always wears his typical Haddock outfit, excluding the times where he loses his cap?
tintinspartan
#4 · Posted: 31 May 2007 04:13
SAY IT THEN! I just blew it!!!! Nevermind.

If I broke Rule 4 again, please excuse me.

Land Of Black Gold
Mark Falconer
#5 · Posted: 31 May 2007 06:24
I believe I did say so:

Captain Haddock, however, is found in an outfit that differs from that in at least one article in every book he appears but one. (The cap comes and goes at arbitrary times - for example, it disappears off of his head on page 8 of Flight 714 and doesn't appear again for the rest of the book. I presume it is lost and that he gets another for his adventures in Latin America. Exclude those instances.) Which one is that?

Maybe that was hard to understand for a person who is not native English speaker? I admit that I am sometimes given to overt and grandiloquent verbosity...

Land of Black Gold is correct.

This topic is closed.