Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Other comics /

Hergé named in Blake & Mortimer

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

yamilah
#1 · Posted: 1 Feb 2007 14:37
In which B&M album is Hergé's name mentioned?

Please quote album, page and panel.
labrador road 26
#2 · Posted: 2 Feb 2007 00:39
No I wont quote album, page and panel, as I'm quite sure that you already know the answer. Could you please stop asking questions which answers you already know. Please start posting the answer instead. Like: Edgar Pierre Jacobs returned the favor of being portrayed in some of the Tintin books by mentioning Hergé in, whatever album it was. That would make some interesting reading.

In which B&M album is Hergé's name mentioned?

Please quote album, page and panel.

Is not interesting to read. All it tells me is that Jacobs or his successors mentioned Hergé, still don't know any more than I did before reading your post.

Sorry to be so blunt, but can't you sometimes let go of the charade your playing.

By the way, you don't have to search the forum for threads relating to this post, or wikipedia or somewhere else at all.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 2 Feb 2007 00:57
The answer is also visible in our very own Spot Tintin - Tintin's Cameos guide.
yamilah
#4 · Posted: 2 Feb 2007 01:29 · Edited by: yamilah
labrador road 26
Could you please stop asking questions which answers you already know. (...) Is not interesting to read.

Well done! Your remark is particularly interesting to read!
Maybe you could suggest to stop with the Tintin Trivia Challenge too?

Richard
The answer is also visible in our very own Spot Tintin - Tintin's Cameos guide.
Well spotted Richard, thank you!
labrador road 26
#5 · Posted: 2 Feb 2007 03:14
Maybe you could suggest to stop with the Tintin Trivia Challenge too?

No the Trivia is one thing, you're starting to litter the forum with you own trivias. And that is getting annoying. Why don't you make a web page of your own with all the questions you already know the answers to so everybody can see your dazzling mind at work. Uninterrupted by people like me.

You mastered the technique of writing nonsense and now I see you have started heavily with irony.

Thank goodness that you didn't work at Studio Hergé or the albums would have been a pain to read instead of enjoyable.
yamilah
#6 · Posted: 2 Feb 2007 03:50
labrador road 26
you're starting to litter the forum with you own trivias. And that is getting annoying (...) You mastered the technique of writing nonsense

Is this interesting to read?
Harrock n roll
#7 · Posted: 2 Feb 2007 06:10
I suppose it is a bit unusual to ask a question that you already know the answer to, rather than stating a fact, but - hey ho - life's full of surprises.

Anyhow, we've established that Hergé's name appears on a shop sign in Le Mystère de la Grande Pyramide. In order to turn this thread into something more constructive - maybe even "interesting to read" - I'll attempt to fill in a few additional facts.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that Jacobs was still working with Hergé around this time (1954-55), embellishing some of the Egyptian tomb paintings in the re-worked Cigars of the Pharaoh. And we all know (well, we should!) that Hergé pays tribute to Jacobs on the cover (and on page 8 of the book) by including an E.P. Jacobini as one of the mummies.

Also, one of the other mummies on the Cigars cover - Grosgrab - is based on Professor Grossgrabenstein, a character from Le Mystère de la Grande Pyramide.

So, both men were working on different Ancient Egyptian themed books and thought to pay each other a small compliment in each of them.

And, for anyone that hasn't read them, I think the two-part Le Mystère de la Grande Pyramide are two of the best Blake and Mortimer books. Highly recommended - and an English edition of the story will be coming out soon, I hope!
labrador road 26
#8 · Posted: 2 Feb 2007 09:55
Harrocks last post is exactly what I meant Yamilah. Interesting facts about Tintin and in this case Jacobs.

My post were trying to get you to stop asking questions like you did.

By the way, when did Jacobs stopped collaborating with Hergé? Heard some information about different views about Tintin that led to a falling out, is this true? Something about Jabocs wanting to draw/write his own Tintin adventures and Hergé of course refusing.
yamilah
#9 · Posted: 3 Feb 2007 15:32 · Edited by: Moderator
Thanks Harrock n roll for helping with constructive remarks.

Actually it seems E.P. Jacobs started to work with Herge on January 1st, 1944
see http://www.blakeetmortimer.com/auteur.html#1

and left him in 1947, after less 4 years' collaboration for Tintin (about 3 years before the Studios were founded)

see http://golden.rocket.free.fr/index.php?file=auteurs.php

Olav*, the dual pseudo for 'Herge & Jacobs', is mainly connected with Le Canyon Mysterieux, a story drawn by Paul Cuvelier (1923-1978).
see http://www.lombard.be/bd7a77ans/Auteurs.cfm?Query_ID=142596

Other details on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herg%C3%A9

EDIT:
About "Le Mystere de la Grande Pyramide " (Blake et Mortimer, p.42), the shop front actually reads Herge - & Ca.

According to Assouline's biography, Herge was left by E.P. Jacobs essentially because of his arrogance, that consisted mainly in refusing systematically EPJ's name to feature on the Tintin albums, besides his own.

This attitude towards him -not to mention the conversations they might have had about Tintin- likely made E.P.Jacobs realize there was something very personal between Herge and Tintin.

Like Herge, he was a very meticulous draughtsman; he might thus also have noticed the many inconsistencies inserted and tolerated in Herge's albums (such as duplications, impossible speeds for vehicles or growth, etc), not to mention the hundreds of spelling mistakes found in the original versions.

In that context, the speech bubble just above Herge's name "Il a l'air bien bizarre!... Mais que fait-il donc?... ", namely "How strange he looks!... What the h... is he doing?..." might have been more than just a small compliment...!

--
[Moderator action: combined 2 consecutive posts.]
chevet
Belgium Correspondent
#10 · Posted: 4 Feb 2007 06:22
"I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that Jacobs was still working with Hergé around this time (1954-55), embellishing some of the Egyptian tomb paintings in the re-worked Cigars of the Pharaoh. And we all know (well, we should!) that Hergé pays tribute to Jacobs on the cover (and on page 8 of the book) by including an E.P. Jacobini as one of the mummies."
Sorry to correct you Harrock, but this is not true as you may already have checked with the years given by Yamilah.
In 1949, when "L'or noir" (original title) was published in "Tintin magazine", on page 49 frame 14 (page 48 same frame in the album) we have an allusion to Jacob's story "Le secret de l'Espadon" : "Ma parole ! on se croirait dans la base secrete de l'Espadon !" This was replaced by " Ma parole ! on se croirait dans la ligne Maginot !..."

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!