Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Other comics /

Looking for “Exciting Comics” #39

worcestershire
#1 · Posted: 19 Feb 2012 18:59 · Edited by: worcestershire
I have been trying to find an affordable copy of the Golden Age comic Exciting Comics #39 on the internet, but have had no luck thus far as the least expensive issue I could find was $350 and the most expensive was $3000!

I now feel I will need the help of anyone and everyone I can get to assist me to find that comic. Once I do have a copy of Exciting Comics #39 I will see to it that it is put up at the Digital Comic Archive.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 19 Feb 2012 19:52 · Edited by: jock123
Is there a reason you are so dead set on finding this issue – I've never even heard of Exciting Comics, let alone seen an issue, and wouldn't know where to look (or why I'd be looking).
I think you'll need to give a bit more context, and explain perhaps why the prices you have seen it at perhaps don't reflect the value of the issue (some scarce titles would go for that, obviously).
I'm also uncertain – given the policies of the site – that the objective of scanning it so it can go up on the web are compatible with the ethos we promote here.
Many so-called "public domain" comics often have underlying rights, which somebody (artists, authors, creators or publishers) may still own, so it pays to be careful: it's not hard to find people touting Tintin and Aserix scans on the 'net proclaiming them to be public domain, just because they are old (or in one case, because they had been scanned from library books)!

Update: With a little digging, it appears that the relevant copyright renewal for Exciting Comics from issue 1 was registered under the American system for doing things in place at the time, in 1967; there appears to be a lot of discussion as to the ins and outs of subsequent changes, and whether specific characters have lapsed or not, and whether subsequent use by other companies has been legal or not – it's certainly a mine-field!
Oh, and interestingly, it was a comic for which the Mr. Ripley novelist Patricia Highsmith apparently wrote some stories, which may explain high prices...!
worcestershire
#3 · Posted: 20 Feb 2012 05:45 · Edited by: worcestershire
Yes. It contains the first appearance of a character called Kara the Jungle Princess, the ruler of the kingdom of Arohitia. While the copyright for the first issue of this title may have been renewed, Kara does not appear in the comic until the thirty-ninth issue! It is therefore my contention that the character is still in the public domain.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 20 Feb 2012 09:01 · Edited by: jock123
worcestershire:
While the copyright for the first issue of this title may have been renewed

The sources I looked at suggested that the series was renewed from the first issue, not just the first issue… I’d also still worry about the underlying rights - script, for example.

But anyway, and just out of interest, why is this comic so important to you? There are dozens of jungle-based characters, and hundreds of long-forgotten titles – why does this one stand out for you?
worcestershire
#5 · Posted: 20 Feb 2012 18:31
Because Kara has the best physique of any of the jungle girls from this time period. Even her back history intrigues me as well: her real name is Jane Howell, but when she and her lover Kit Walker arrive in Arohitia, she is taken for the Arohitian's ancient queen and assumes the real Kara's identity for the express purpose of ruling Arohitia. Kit becomes her Captain of the Guard.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!