Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Other comics /

“Asterix 35” Announced!: “Astérix chez les Pictes”

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

george
#21 · Posted: 28 Jun 2013 10:22
A bit more about the new album, though nothing especially new - 'Scotland inspires new Asterix author'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23088039

George
mct16
#22 · Posted: 28 Jun 2013 16:21
"the story - the principle story - is a kind of love story between a Pict character and a girl. And Asterix and Obelix went to Scotland to help him."

Sounds like "Great Divide" territory and I never liked that story with its Romeo-and-Juliet storyline. Still, we'll see what they come up with.

This article refers to a lecture which was part of a conference on comics and graphic novels being held at the University of Glasgow, organised by Dr Laurence Grove - who was party to a very shoddy newspaper article about Tintin - which we covered here.

Grove is quoted as describing the new Asterix as "one of the most highly anticipated comic books of all time". Speak for yourself, Laurence.
jock123
#23 · Posted: 28 Jun 2013 18:59
mct16:
organised by Dr Laurence Grove - who was party to a very shoddy newspaper article about Tintin

It's hardly fair to single Dr. Grove out individually here, especially when referencing the article as "shoddy", when as the discussion on the thread makes it clear that we have nothing to suggest that he was anything more than an an innocent third party being misquoted or taken out of context.
I'd go so far as to say that in doing so you are perhaps guilty of the sort of journalistic sharp practice of which you are accusing others - making it seem that someone has said or done something when they haven't...
Dr. Grove is a distinguished academic, with a career at a prestigious university, in a field in which he holds a doctorate - not a cast-iron guarantee of quality, I'll grant you, but more than enough for us here, I think!
advnarayan
#24 · Posted: 29 Jun 2013 02:06 · Edited by: Moderator
Frankly, I didn't find anything "offensive" about the Tintin piece and the words of Laurence Grove.
He is a proud Scot... and it's his interpretation of Tintin and Captain Haddock.
That's the beauty of Tintin - you and I can read the same book, yet like it in different ways, and that's why Tintin has a fan following between 7 and 77, or rather 8 and 88.

Regarding Asterix - I for one would definitely buy the book before making any decisions.

True, the absence of Gossciny and Uderzo is going to be an area of concern, but I eagerly await Asterix 35!
advnarayan
#25 · Posted: 31 Aug 2013 17:55
Is there a character called Gandhix (based on Mahatma Gandhi in the new Asterix album?
I found some news items after a Google search, but not sure whether to believe the same.
Could anyone give any further details?
mct16
#26 · Posted: 31 Aug 2013 18:35 · Edited by: mct16
mct16:
Could anyone give any further details?

This article by the Times of India has an interview with Jean-Yves Ferri, the new writer of the Asterix series, in which he suggests a future storyline in which Asterix may go to India and meet Gandhix.

This would make an interesting contrast: Asterix who tends to resort to violence to solve his problems (albeit in a humourus way) as compared to Ghandi who is synonymous with non-violent resistance. Asterix might be tempted by the idea but how would Obelix react to the thought of no longer bashing the Romans? Shock! Horror! and "These pacifists are crazy!" I should think :)
advnarayan
#27 · Posted: 1 Sep 2013 08:30 · Edited by: Moderator
mct16:
This article by the Times of India has an interview with Jean-Yves Ferri,

I too read this article, but I think it's not an idea for the forthcoming adventure about the Picts, but for one that will happen after that.
Please correct me if I am wrong?
jock123
#28 · Posted: 1 Sep 2013 13:19
advnarayan:
I think it's not an idea for the forthcoming adventure about the Picts

Agreed - you are right; it would be for a different book.
I realize it's a bit ambiguous, but although they are in effect both "future" books, the Picts story is probably printed and waiting to be sent to the shops, whilst the India adventure is still in his head.

M. Ferri is talking in the interview about a story yet to be written.

If it was the Picts book, he would have said "I have set the new adventure...", rather than, "I want to set a new adventure..."
BlackadderFan
#29 · Posted: 22 Sep 2013 11:31
Bleedin Cool News reports that the latest Asterix book will be published in fewer copies than the previous book, Asterix and Obelix's 50th Anniversary.
jock123
#30 · Posted: 22 Sep 2013 12:25
BlackadderFan:
the latest Asterix book will be published in fewer copies than the previous book

But it does point out that that is a staggering two million copies, and that it will be a good contender for best-selling comic of the year! It's only a relative reduction, and both figures are way above what many books will ever sell in total, let alone as one of what could be several print runs.
I'd also imagine that selling any new title based on a 50th anniversary will inevitably knock-on into a usually un-tapped market of "un-we", who don't buy comics regularly, but for nostalgic purposes, or for the feeling of getting a "collector's item" which will be "worth something", or because they are a relative who see it and goes "Oh, wee Johnny likes/liked that, I"ll get him a copy" - buy a book when they otherwise wouldn't have.
You may actually please die-hard fans and collectors more with a smaller print-run, as (its actual merits apart) the Golden Book will be worth less than other albums, given its vast sales in the first edition, with Picts being "scarcer" (all two million of them)...

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!