Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Delcourt-Soleil Bringing over 100 comics to English

jock123
#1 · Posted: 7 Jul 2015 17:57
Delcourt-Soleil, reportedly the largest independent publisher of Francophone BD, have announced that they intend to translate their back-catalogue to English, and have it released digitally on Comixology.
The announcement was made to coincide with the San Diego Comic-Con, and shows a serious intention to bring European comics to the English-speaking world - America in particular - with over one hundred titles made available in the first year, at a rate of approximately ten a month.

They have lined up some artists and authors known to fans of American comics to create exclusive covers or write prefaces to some of the books.

The press release makes a distinction between "graphic novels" and other comics, which it seems will be released as part-works before being collected into albums; quite what they have in mind here isn't clear to me, as many if not all French comics are more like what I would think of as graphic novels than their American counter-parts. I'm sure it will become clearer as they go along.

Whatever the specifics, the intention is clear - the Francophones are coming! :-)
advnarayan
#2 · Posted: 9 Jul 2015 13:26
Wow....
This is great news. I sure would love to read Totor, Mister Bellum, Mister Mops, and other creations of Hergé not yet published in English.
Hope Delcourt-Soleil takes note of the same.
I would also love to read Jehan Pistolet, Luc Junior and other creations of Goscinny & Uderzo, in English, along with the stories of Gaston Lagaffe
jock123
#3 · Posted: 9 Jul 2015 19:59
advnarayan:
Hope Delcourt-Soleil takes note of the same.

It's their own titles that they already publish in French which Delcourt-Soleil are bringing into English; as they don't publish any of Hergé's works, even in French, those stories you mention will definitely not be on their list to translate, I am afraid.

Secondly (as you yourself wrote), Hachette are the publisher of the Gossciny & Uderzo titles you mention, and (as they told you) hope to have something to announce in 2016.
mct16
#4 · Posted: 10 Jul 2015 02:01
Indeed, going through Delcourt's dossier, it appears that most of their French-language comics are recent titles rather than the classics of the 1950s, 60s, and 70s which advnarayan mentions.

For those kind of comics, I would go to izneo.com and read such series as Lucky Luke, XIII, Thorgal, Valerian and Laureline or the Bluecoats which are available in English.

As far as Delcourt's own French comics are concerned, none of their titles are familiar to me. Most of them strike me as thrillers or fantasies with dark backgrounds with little of the humour of Tintin and other similar titles. Probably more aimed at the adult market.

I've only read one series, "De Cape et De Crocs", and after three or four books I did not bother with the rest, even though there have been about 10 albums in the series. Still, some might enjoy it more than I did if Delcourt intend to release it in English.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!