Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Wanted: Harry Thompson’s “Hergé and His Creation”

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

jeffcapeshop
#1 · Posted: 20 May 2004 00:55
Hi - does anyone know where I can get hold of this book?

Can't find it online anywhere (I'm in the U.K.)

Thanks!

Jeff
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 20 May 2004 07:45
It is ridicously rare. I've seen it on ebay.co.uk several times, but no international shipping (I live in Australia) and also the bids get exceptionally high! I've been looking for a copy for ages. My local library has one, but its still being borrowed at the moment, but when they want to sell it, I'm going to buy it.

It's a very good book. As you live in the UK you have a better chance of finding it than me. Look in second-hand bookstores, book collector stalls, places like that.

Sorry I can't help you anymore. (They really should republish it!)

Tintinrulz
ectoplasm
#3 · Posted: 21 May 2004 19:10
I got mine at the beginning of the year from Amazon marketplace for a tenner, but that was the first time I've seen it there. It's fantastic, and yes, they should reprint it.
rastapopoulos
#4 · Posted: 22 May 2004 22:49
I remember seeing the book in the Tintin shop in Covent Garden in 1992, I had already spent my money on 'Herge and Tintin, Reporters'. Ive never seen it since. I am kicking myself!
ectoplasm
#5 · Posted: 22 May 2004 23:40
Hey Rastapopoulos, can you tell me if 'Herge and Tintin reporters' is any good, and worth getting, or at least looking for?

Also, most of the quotes in the Thompson book come from Numa Sadoul's 'interviews with Herge'. Does anyone else think it would be an excellent idea if this was translated into English, preferably by Michael Turner and Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper?(!)
Of all the French Tintin books unavailable over here this seems to be the most essential.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#6 · Posted: 23 May 2004 00:20
First the cons: I wrote somewhere else that "Hergé and Tintin: Reporters" can be quite heavy in places:

"There's a lengthy section by a philosopher called Pierre-Yves Bourdil (if I remember correctly) waxing lyrical in the highest possible terms - you might read it once and never again. Plus there's plenty of writing from Raymond Leblanc (Tintin magazine publisher) which can be a little dry. Whether this is just the way it's been written originally or the English translation I'm not sure.
I'm also not sure what to make of the book's structure: the narrative vaguely follows the chronology of the books but it jumps around so much you don't know where you are sometimes. I don't think it's for the casual Tintin fan, more for the seasoned Tintinologist. Philippe Goddin's writing isn't bad but it's generally in 'article' form rather than part of a single narrative." The reproductions taken from the books are also a little mediocre.

But otherwise it's definitely a worthwhile investment if only for the wealth of unpublished material it includes, and some fascinating insights into Hergé's working method and anecdotes of the man himself. If I had neither, I would buy Harry Thompson's book first to get a good overview of the series, and then this. If you can get hold of it, that is - though both of them are now extremely rare I do tend to see Thompson's book around more often.

Ed
pauldurdin
Moderator Emeritus
#7 · Posted: 23 May 2004 08:12
At the Library here they have both 'Tintin and the World of Herge' by Benoit Peeters and 'Tintin: Herge and his Creation' by Thompson. I've borrowed both at times, I think, but I don't think I read much of them -- partially due to the fact that I also borrowed Michael Farr's excellent 'Tintin: the Complete Companion', which was far more attention-grabbing.

I might borrow the other two again and read them. :P

Paul
ectoplasm
#8 · Posted: 23 May 2004 11:14
Thanks edcharlesadams, I am a pretty seasoned Tintinologist, so I might go looking for the Goddin book; I tend to reread every Tintin book every couple of years and then go hunting around for anything else I can find that illuminates the world of Herge.

I think the Benoit Peeters and Thompson books are both excellent - funnily enough, I'm not too hot on Michael Farr's book, as I found that a lot of the time he sinmply retold the plot of the stories. His access to the Herge archives is enviable though, and the pictures excellent.

One thing about books like the 'Complete Companion' and the 'Tintin at Sea' books is that when they reproduce individual frames large scale it makes you realise just how extraordinarily good EVERY PANEL of Herge's work is. I've often thought that I'd like to see larger-scale editions of the books so you can see the panels properly - maybe double-size - and this might be popular also with readers who want large-print books. Does anyone else agree? After all, if we can have smaller-sized compendium versions, why not larger ones for fans and collectors (and short-sighted people!).
Jyrki21
#9 · Posted: 7 Jun 2004 04:47 · Edited by: Jyrki21
I actually own Harry Thompson's book (had no idea it was so rare) in my childhood bedroom in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I think I bought it in London, though... can't actually remember any more. Actually, no, I think it is indeed from Vancouver.

It's definitely a good book, but if you've read Peeters' book, it's much the same idea (minus the illustrations). I find I like Farr's the best, actually for the exact opposite reason related by ectoplasm... I think he actually does the *least* retelling of stories of any of them. (Although I wouldn't mind it, if only because it's been a long time since I read most of them!)

Anyone ever read Frederic Tuten's bizarre novel "Tintin in the New World?" It's not really related to the Tintin series beyond using the title character in an entirely different role.
Tintinrulz
#10 · Posted: 7 Jun 2004 07:39
I hated Tintin in the New World. It was philosophial rubbish, churned out with no thought (at least that's what I think). Seems to me that Tintin was only put in there so people would read the author's dodgy book! Also I don't really want to know about Tintin contemplating murder, having sex and getting high (on drugs).
One word to describe that book: Crap.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!