Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

"Hergé - Chronologie d'une Œuvre" and other books about Hergé

tantan
#1 · Posted: 8 Nov 2005 09:05
There's little information at tintin.com and other online stores about the content of the Chronologie series besides the obvious fact that they chronicle the works of Hergé through the years.

Unfortunately, the price of the five books issued so far is 500 euros (plus shipping to the US). That could easily add up to $700, or more. So before I contemplate making such an investment, I'd like to hear from fellow Tintin fans who own these books.

Do you have any second thoughts about spending that much money for them? Do they cover the creative process Hergé used throughout the years, or just a gallery of artwork?
What interesting info is there to justify the high price tag?

I'd also like to know your opinion about the following books, how they differ, and whether some of them are redundant to the others.

* Tintin et moi: Entretiens avec Hergé - Numa Sadoul
* Le monde d'Hergé - Benoît Peeters
* Hergé - Pierre Assouline
* Hergé, fils de Tintin - Benoît Peeters

Thanks
jock123
#2 · Posted: 9 Nov 2005 09:41
There have been quite extensive discussions of at least some of the titles, and others have posed questions about the relative merits of buying some or all of the books. Perhaps if you did a search of the forums you might find the information you are looking for? Setting the period of the search to a longer period than 365 days sometimes helps...
Tintinrulz
#3 · Posted: 9 Nov 2005 14:43
That could help somewhat, but I doubt to the extent of detail tantan wishes.

I too wish to read the Chronologie series (wish my library had them) but sadly my budget doesn't allow for it. Sorry I can't be of any help.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 9 Nov 2005 15:22
Tintinrulz
That could help somewhat, but I doubt to the extent of detail tantan wishes.

That's always a possibility, but it's still a good place to start - many of the points specified have been raised; as to the qualitative queries - such as value for money, or what "interesting info" is there - well, that's just a matter of personal taste and circumstance...

Let's put it this way - there won't be a more comprehensive compendium of Hergéiana in the foreseeable future than the Chronologie, so for sheer thoroughness it won't be beaten (until whenever the revised/ expanded/ updated versions appears in the distant future...!).

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!