Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Carry On Up the Amazon...!

jock123
#1 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 08:19
Okay, I just looked at the Amazon.co.uk site listing for the DVD box set, and I can say I was more than a little surprised to read the following, in the bit where they recommend a second title at a discount if you buy the pair:

“Perfect Partner
Buy Adventures Of Tintin, The - 75th Anniversary with Ooh... You Are Awful! [1972] DVD today!”

Now I have nothing against Dick Emery (insert your own double entendre, folks!) per se, but “Ooh... You Are Awful!” is a risqué comedy in the “Carry On” film mould, about finding ladies with tattooed bottoms (perhaps I should have added this to the tattoo thread…)! In what manner or way is this the “perfect partner” to Tintin?? I just can’t see the link... Anyone?
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 11:05
I've thought long and hard about this (...oooer!) but I just can't think of a link...

Incidentally, I noticed that somebody on ebay is selling a DVD box set with a bonus disc of "Tintin et Moi" with the first 5000 sold - 'unofficial'?
jockosjungle
#3 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 11:26
Is there some tenuous link with the set, such as produced by the same company/same actor/etc.

Or it could just be that someone bought both sets, and it automatically created a link

Rik
Big Ren
#4 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 12:50 · Edited by: Big Ren
...somebody on ebay is selling a DVD box set with a bonus disc of "Tintin et Moi" with the first 5000 sold - 'unofficial'?

I did a search for the French box set and online retailer DVDmoinscher.com also lists the bonus DVD, so it looks genuine.

Keeping on topic - the Dick Emery link is probably just an example of an Amazon database error.
jock123
#5 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 14:59
Looking at DVDmoinscher.com, the extra disc may be “gratuite”, but they are still charging nearly £47 for it - the UK version (sans extra disc) is online for around the £22 mark.

In a similar vein to the strange pairing of DVDs above, I tried putting “Tintin et Moi” into the fnac.com site, and one of the things it returned was a CD of operatic arias - given both the Captain and Hergé had a certain aversion in this direction, it seemed quite a provocative choice!! It *doesn’t* contain the jewel song from “Faust”, however.

I’m sure the Amazon thing is either an automatically generated random thing, or just a really poor choice of material. I still think it’s funny, because it is just about as unlikely a pairing as I can imagine...

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!