Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Tintin Shop: Covent Garden, London

#1 · Posted: 26 Aug 2004 12:53
I presume that a lot of people on here have been there? I really want to go, and no doubt will do at some stage. Could anybody tell me what it's like and some of the stuff they sell? Is any of it difficult to come by elsewhere at all? Thanks.
#2 · Posted: 26 Aug 2004 13:40 · Edited by: rastapopoulos
The shop is quite small (Its not a Tintin Megastore) and all of the mechandise is available on their internet site. I would say it was worth a visit if you were in London, but I dont think it is worth going especially. The staff are very helpful and obviously fellow Tintin fans.
#3 · Posted: 26 Aug 2004 13:56
Yeh I was there a month or so ago. Nothing was there that you couldn't buy elsewhere or from their website, and if more than four people are in there at one time you spend all your time apologising and squeezing past each other

Nice to go and have a look in and they have a good selection of t-shirts

Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#4 · Posted: 26 Aug 2004 16:48
Yes, definitely worth a look in if you're around London - they have special offers reasonably often and it's a beautiful shop. However I really miss the much bigger Tintin 'superstore' that used to be in Sloane Avenue!

UK Correspondent
#5 · Posted: 26 Aug 2004 22:28
It didn't as such close, did it ? At least, not the last I heard - didn't it expand to sell a range of European comic character merchandise ? Although this was some time ago, it might have closed down after that.

And I think the reason that the shop in Covent Garden is so small is partly down to that exact reason - it is in Covent Garden, and the rent on the premises must be extremely high.

I think the one thing they're lacking (in my view) is books. When I went, which was a few years ago now, they had quite a number of statues and clothes, but very few books (excluding the official series).
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#6 · Posted: 26 Aug 2004 23:29
If I remember correctly, the last time I visited the Sloane Avenue Tintin Shop, it had started selling Asterix, Dr Seuss and others. The next catalogue I received told me that the larger outlet had "moved" to somewhere called the Big Kid's Store in King's Road. I never went there but it sounded as if it was now a very small section of a very large shop. Whether they still have a presence there or not, I can't say.

#7 · Posted: 15 Apr 2005 16:14
Quite hard to find unless you know the street it's on and have faith as it doesn;t exactly stand out as a Tintin shop. Really small as well and to be honest I wasn't exactly overwhelmed with the ammount of merchandise it had. I thought the one in the Tintin at Sea exhibition was superior

#8 · Posted: 18 Apr 2005 19:26
Ach, I thought it was just my appalling sense of direction!...

I'll be going to London in a month or so, once my exams are finished, and try to chase it down there. One of my friends from last year said it had closed- I'm glad to see this isn't the case.

Tintin merchandise can pop up in the strangest places. My mother and stepdad were gobsmacked to find a big shop in Tenerife, which they proceeded to buy up as my early birthday present (bearing in mind my birthday's in August)... I now have a gorgeous watch showing a scene from 'Destination Moon' : Tintin has just taken the helmet off Archie's spacesuit, and Snowy's chasing a mouse which functions as the second hand around the watch's edge. It's quality.

... Sorry to go off topic!
#9 · Posted: 4 Jul 2005 10:07
... An update on Tintin Shop spotting...

I did go to London (to see Jim Broadbent in Theatre of Blood at the National) and on my way through Convent Garden, in pursuit of the Theatre Museum, guess what I saw?

I'm not the brightest of sparks, I'll freely admit. Peering in the window, I thought- "Isn't that Land of Black Gold?" When I looked up, it was the Tintin Shop. I was mad at myself for not noticing, and it wasn't possible to stop because if we left it any longer the museum would have closed.

But since I'm going to be staying in London for a few days for my birthday, I shall definitely make a visit then. Provided my girlfriend lets me...
#10 · Posted: 4 Jul 2005 16:56
It is a beautiful little shop - very small, not much space in there, but loads of clothes - well that's London for you - books and merchandise!
I'm sure they would order anything they don't have for you.

This topic is closed.