Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Valuation needed - 29cm Tintin Resin Rocket - Ottakars

Mich
#1 · Posted: 17 May 2014 00:12
Hi,
I worked for Ottakars Bookshops once upon a time and in 2001 the shop was given an award by management, which I am looking to sell so need to find out a valuation. The award consists of a 29cm red and white resin rocket (from Explorers on the Moon) which is mounted on a wooden (possible mahogany) mount with a brass plaque attached. It comes with a numbered certificated of authentication and is in a circular box with a tin lid. Can anyone advise me who I should speak to about this and how much it could be worth please?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 3 Jun 2014 15:29
Hi, Mich,
Sorry that this has taken a bit of time, but (as you will discover) I'm no expert and the field is wide...

There appear to have been several manufacturers, many different editions (limited and otherwise) and such subtle variation in what seems to be valuable and what isn't, that it's not an easy thing to put a value on; given that this is one with a very specific purpose in addition to the rocket itself, I'd be hard pressed to give you anything like a meaningful valuation.

It certainly sounds nice, and were it not for my self-imposed "war against collecting additional things that I'd only have to dust", I'd no doubt be hankering after it myself; however it would be difficult to know if there is a specific interest in one manufacturer over another, or one edition and the next.

The rocket is iconic, and appears to attract interest from people who aren't even Tintin fans (such people exist, apparently...), so it will definitely have a market.

It might be worth making enquiries of the auction houses which sell comic-related items (if you do a forum search you'll find references to sales which have taken place), to see if they have any ideas - they will like as not be far better informed than most.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!
Mich
#3 · Posted: 5 Jun 2014 20:19
Thanks very much for the reply Jock. I shall certainly try that and will let you know. :o)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!