Le Lotus Bleu (copyright 1946-74)
L'oreille Cassée (c) 1947
Tintin au Pays de l'Or Noir (c) 1971
Tintin au Tibet (c) 1960
Tintin en Amerique (c) 1947
Tintin et les Picaros (c) 1976
jock123
#2 · Posted: 14 Sep 2014 20:01
The short answer is no, probably not, I am afraid. The Tintin books have been in print for a long time, and in vast quantity, so the chances of your books being valuable is slight. However, the possibility is there that if you have good copies of early printings of the books, they may be worth something to collectors.

The copyright date is of little help in identifying the books that collectors value. What you need is an idea of when the books were printed and sold, and the condition they are in.

Things to look for, which *might* indicate age and value, in addition to clean unmarked pages still attached to the cover, and no wear and tear, are the spine being made of plain, unprinted, coloured cloth and not printed cardboard with the name of the book on it, and that the back cover shows Tintin and other characters standing on an island next to a notice board, rather than the gallery of book covers (this is with the exception of Picaros which - unless you have a special limited edition made by the publisher to give as gifts rather than to be sold - was the first to have the book cover back, and always had the cardboard spine).

Some books which appear to be old are also modern reprinted copies prepared to look like the older versions, so even the above information isn't a guarantee!

So really, if your books were bought any time in the last thirty years or so, they probably aren't valuable, and before that they would have to be good condition and produced very close to the original copyright date. If they were, then there's a chance - but it isn't possible to say with the information you have given us here.

Otherwise, keep them, and enjoy them!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!