Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Hergé: Autograph in Dutch?

Tintin55
#1 · Posted: 7 Feb 2015 19:09 · Edited by: Moderator
I saw a Tintin book in Dutch, with Hergé's autograph also in Dutch.
I have only seen Hergé write French.
Has anyone seen his Dutch writing?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 8 Feb 2015 14:14
Hergé certainly dedicated his books in Dutch for his Flemish and Dutch readers (I've also seen where he dedicated books in English for British, Australian and American readers).

You probably know that Belgium is a bilingual country, and although this is largely on a regional basis, the city of Brussels (notionally Francophone) is accommodating to both languages, and Hergé - although a French speaking Walloon - was familiar with Flemish Dutch.
Tintin55
#3 · Posted: 8 Feb 2015 16:51
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I do know about Belgium and the languages used.
The only English writing I have seen from Herge was on the poster when he visited America.
prairiegrass
#4 · Posted: 9 Feb 2015 02:55 · Edited by: Moderator
This sold on eBay a few months ago...
A neat example of Hergé's knowledge of English (it seems authentic to me).
Tintin55
#5 · Posted: 10 Feb 2015 02:15
Thank you prairiegrass! That was a great find!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!