Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Information Wanted: Who was "B. Verbert"?

prairiegrass
#1 · Posted: 9 Feb 2015 03:12 · Edited by: Moderator
Hi all,

I've seen two different Hergé dedications, made to a person named "B. Verbert" in the mid-70s.
One is in a signed copy of Tintin et les Picaros, Lot Nº 511 on this page.

Herge's dedication includes the text "Yommo! Yommo!", which seems to me more personal than a standard dedication.

The other one also seems personalized.

It could just be a 70's super fan (haha) but I'm wondering if there's someone more "famous" behind the name?

August
jock123
#2 · Posted: 9 Feb 2015 15:42
Hergé must have signed thousands of books and other items in his career, so this could be a bit of a search for the proverbial needle in a haystack.

However, credit to you for making the association between the two items, so perhaps someone out there does know?

The personalization of the dedication may or may not be significant: I have had items signed for me by various people over the years, and what they have written varies wildly - I have had bare signatures from people I actually know, to two page letters and a selection of photographs from another I didn't know at all, but which if read by someone else might have made them think we were always popping round to see each other!

However, as well as the mysterious "Yommo!" on the first book, there are possible clues on the second dedication too: the "ex-luthier" suggests that the recipient had been a guitar maker; the "ex-Scoubidiste" suggests that it might have had something to do with music in the past - jazz or the works of Frank Sinatra (from his "scooby-dooby-doo" vocalizing on Strangers in the Night, which also spawned the name of the Hannah-Barbera dog).
Hergé played the guitar at one time, so perhaps he knew "B. Verbert" through music, although the "ex-" bits seem to suggest that avenue had closed?

Don't know if this helps or hinders, but good luck in your researches!
prairiegrass
#3 · Posted: 11 Feb 2015 12:06 · Edited by: Moderator
I love the Frank Sinatra reference! So poetic!

I'd originally thought the word was "scoutidiste" and was some reference to scouting, but it's is clearly a "b". I think it's likely related to a society of poets/writers at l'Académie du Maine as I see the word in this document.

My French is terrible so google translate and I will spend some time together. From what I can tell the "scoubidiste's" were protesting something ...

Or it could simply be someone who does this!

Regardless I love that these two autographs have me up way past midnight investigating them.

Did Hergé or Verbert ever know their dedication would affect some guy in Australia 40+ years later! I love the connection to the past that this brings me!
jock123
#4 · Posted: 11 Feb 2015 15:52
prairiegrass:
I think it's likely related to a society of poets/writers at l'Académie du Maine

It certainly is someone there who is writing, but the context does not suggest that the Scoubidistes were a phenomenon in just that place, so I think that that may be an inference too far... :-)

prairiegrass:
From what I can tell the "scoubidiste's" were protesting something ...

Again, not quite: I think what they are saying is that those who would have at one time been the "cool" kids who were in to the jazz scene, became the politically active youth which enagaged in the student riots in Paris in the late Sixties - so the "scoubidistes" came before the protestors, rather than protesting themselves.

prairiegrass:
Did Hergé or Verbert ever know their dedication would affect some guy in Australia 40+ years later!

Yes, it was a deliberate plot...! They had you specifically in mind! ;-)

Nah, it's just the fun of Tintinology - and the good thing is, these little conundrums and puzzles which are so interesting are unlikely to ever run out! :-)
prairiegrass
#5 · Posted: 12 Feb 2015 10:27
Thanks jock123! Yes, Tintinology is the best! :-) Really do appreciate these forums!
Balthazar
#6 · Posted: 12 Feb 2015 17:40
prairiegrass:
Or it could simply be someone who does this!

That doesn't seem an impossible explanation. Perhaps B Verbert was a child who told Hergé how he used to be into the Scoubidou-making craze (which looks not unlike the recent Loom Band fad here in the UK) as well as some pastime related to Hergé's "ex-Luthien" reference, but that he was now into reading Tintin instead.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!