Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Facsimiles: Some questions

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

jock123
#11 · Posted: 9 Feb 2017 23:14
lordlozz:
If its that infrequent then surely such a table wouldn't be such a big task.

Feel free to set your parameters as widely as you wish; I can only say what I feel.

lordlozz:
I would have thought that of the 15 or so editions for any given adventure only 2 or 3 of these would not be a complete mirror of the previous edition.

Again, if that is the assumption you want to make, then that's your choice.
However, the survey wouldn't be definitive or complete, and you yourself have been searching for absolutist and definitive answers about specifically which books/ editions have changes, what specific editions facsimiles are of etc., and expecting that information to be available.
My point has been that until you or someone has carried out the researches into everything, then the specific answers you have been looking for can never be as absolute as you appear to want them to be.

lordlozz:
So in your opinion is The Black Island the only book with significant changes from the original color version?

No, I didn't say anything like that; it was specifically an example in reference to your point about cars being changed.
You seemed to think vehicular modification was a major aspect of the changes in the books; I am not aware of it being done on an ad hoc basis - but in a book like The Black Island, where everything was re-drawn, they would have been. But it wasn't the sole purpose or intention of the re-drawn version, and in other books with wholesale changes to artwork including Cigars of the Pharaoh, Blue Lotus and Land of Black Gold, cars and vehicle may have changed too.
I was trying to get across that I know of no book in which vehicles were specifically altered, but the rest of the frame remained untouched.

There really is a lot of information available about how books have changed in these forums - perhaps doing some searches and reading on those topics will give you a better idea of the sort of changes which have happened?
lordlozz
#12 · Posted: 11 Feb 2017 03:24
jock123:
The size of the operation is more than likely how anomalies creep in -

Aha this is the quote that has made me realise how to define what should constitute as a change and what wouldn't be worth mentioning in this hyperthetical table: The table would not makes notes on accidental changes, only changes deliberately made by Herge and/or his team would be worth mentioning..
jock123
#13 · Posted: 11 Feb 2017 12:17
lordlozz:
The table would not makes notes on accidental changes, only changes deliberately made by Herge and/or his team would be worth mentioning.

But you'd have to mention all the changes, even just to indicate that there were accidental ones, and to advise readers which they are.
In many cases we just don't know what is deliberate and what is accidental: we don't have any authority to tell us which of the flags is correct on Sir Francis's ship at any given time - the addition of the Union Jack is one thing, but was it changing again deliberate or accidental? Did Hergé perhaps purge the Union Jack in favour of the plain blue flag as part of his general overhaul of specific location/ nation references, which is why the Metropole hotel loses its sign? We don't know.
Experience shows that people notice the disparity in the map and dialogue at the start of Cigars of the Pharaoh when they don't match (and that Snowy talks about Marlinspike): that is a whole rat's nest of linked changes, choices and mistakes, not easily tabulated.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!