versions. We have observed prices ranging from 100 to 3000 Euros. We have
traced the origin of the albums to the mid 40s to early 50s and the
condition of the collection , we believe, ranges from very good to
excellent. Would anyone be able to help us appraise the items and suggest a
realistic price for the collection ?

The 7 albums in our possession are :
- Tintin au Congo (copyright 1947)
- Tintin en Amérique (copyright 1947)
- Tintin L'Etoile Mysterieuese (copyright 1947)
- Tintin le Lotus Bleu (copyright 1946)
- Tintin le Sceptre D'Ottokar (copyright 1947)
- Tintin le Temple du Soleil (copyright 1949)
- Tintin le Tresor de Rackham le Rouge (copyright 1947)

In addition, we have a le Journal Tintin no. 5 (1950)

Any information on the value of this collection would be appreciated

Kind Regards,
dedemax
#2 · Posted: 29 Mar 2017 10:14
Dear, sorry if I'm wrong (my mother language is French- I come from Tintin's country) but are you asking members to do (free of charge) the job you have been requested (and will probably be paid) for ?
dedemax
#3 · Posted: 29 Mar 2017 10:15
but I can tell you that copyright year has no meaning for valuation of Tintin books ...
jock123
#4 · Posted: 29 Mar 2017 11:06
The copyright date is not much of a guide to value, I'm afraid, as that appears in every copy published to this day; it's far more important to know when they were published.

Condition is also super-important: Tintin books have become collectable and gained a monetary value, but they were also printed in large numbers, so the better kept books sell for better prices.

The Francophone collectors market is far more mature than the English-language one, and it has managed to identify the minute variation in impressions, editions and quantities of books published, which means that a standardized system of grading and identification has developed - an area in which I am not an expert.

However, if you are working in the knowledge that these are early books (because you know who bought them and when) in good condition, you might want to approach one of the large auction houses which stage sales of Hergé, Tintin and comics-related items throughout the year; they have expert evaluators, who could accurately gauge the rarity, condition and worth of these albums.

There is a sale coming up in Paris at Artcurial; the PDF catalogue is here, containing photos of many books and the estimates of sales prices, which could at least be indicative to you. However, bear in mind that these are just estimates, and the books pictured may not be the exact version you have.
luinivierge2010
#5 · Posted: 8 Apr 2017 00:28
The BDM is the place to go - it should allow you to identify the relevant features (in the first place the appearance of the back cover) and provide a price range according to condition:
https://www.amazon.fr/BDM-Michel-B%C3%A9ra/dp/2859175695/ref=sr_1_1?ie =UTF8&qid=1491607620&sr=8-1&keywords=Tr%C3%A9sors+de+la+bande+dessin%C 3%A9e+BDM+%3A+Catalogue+encyclop%C3%A9dique+et+argus+de+la+BD+de+colle ction
If the Journal Tintin item is the "reliure editeur" number 5, containing issues 69 to 85 of the French edition of the periodical, then its value is listed as 550 Euros. The condition would need to be good.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!