Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Valuation Wanted: Tintin Citime watch, mid-1990s?

Mrshobson3
#1 · Posted: 6 Jan 2019 20:52
Hi!
Can anyone can give me an idea how much my watch is valued at?
It's a Citime, black leather strap, with half-black-half-white face, and Tintin and dog on.
I cannot find any the same on Google or eBay - I assume it's a limited edition?
I've had it from a child, so probably 94/5/6?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 6 Jan 2019 22:59
Mrshobson3:
Can anyone can give me an idea how much my watch is valued at?

I'm not a watch expert or collector, but I think it's going to need a bit more detail if we're going to get anywhere near identifying - let alone - valuing something like that; Citime appears to have produced dozens, if not hundreds, of Tintin watches over the years, and as most seem to feature Tintin, and often in the company of his dog Snowy, that's only a very basic starting point.

I have seen a photo online of what is described as a "Tintin chronograph", with a tachygraph marked around the bezel, a main dial - divided into white top-half, and black lower-half, with three sub-dials on the face, the word "Tintin" in grey, and a small outline of Tintin and Snowy top right - is this what your watch looks like? The one I saw is detailed as being from 2000, which could mean - a) different to your watch; b) the same as your watch, but it was in production for a few years, or c) it's the same as your watch, and the description given with the picture was wrong.

It may also be that value is dependent on other features - have you the box or tin it came in? Have you any other documentation for it - leaflet, instructions, guarantee card, wrapper, etc.? Collectors appreciate that kind of stuff, and it may increase value if present (or detract if not).

Also is showing signs of wear? Any scratches, wear on the strap, etc., will no doubt affect its worth to a collector.

But let's find out what it is you actually have before embarking on speculating about its value: so, please give a more detailed description, and the hive mind can perhaps turn its attention to tracking down a price estimate for you!
Mrshobson3
#3 · Posted: 7 Jan 2019 11:23
Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately I can't add a picture. I can only find 1 photo online and it's on Pinterest, that's all I can see, nothing else. I'm no collector or watch expert, so I do not know where to start. It's no scratches has been wore but very little, and unfortunately no box or paperwork. The face is literally half black and white with tintin and did on with a winder on the side (the black and white are vertical on the face) and it was bought when I was roughly 6/7 so definitely 1994/5 time obviously maybe be before depending on when the shop has them.
Mrshobson3
#4 · Posted: 7 Jan 2019 16:45
[url=https://itsonlyme14.wordpress.com/2019/01/07/tintin-watch/][/url]
jock123
#5 · Posted: 7 Jan 2019 18:04
So this one, perhaps?

My guess (and it is just a guess, based on looking at some online auctions) is that you might get somewhere between £20 and £60, given that seems to be a range into which Citime watches fall when they actually sell.

It's only a guess, but the watches were sold in so many variations, over so many years, that - unless it is some sort of special release (which I think it would say somewhere on it, and probably would lead to there being information about it online), I don't anticipate it being especially valuable (I will happily be proved wrong!).
Mrshobson3
#6 · Posted: 7 Jan 2019 18:20
Thank you! I honestly don't know any value of it! So thanks I just can't see anything online? Where did you look at the auction? As eBay have none of mine, not saying it's valuable as I have no idea I don't even wear a watch haha
Mrshobson3
#7 · Posted: 7 Jan 2019 18:24
I have spoken to my brother and he paid £350 in 1994/5 so I would like to think I could get more information online about it too.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!