Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Buy Tintin in hardcover or softcover?

KorovaMilkBar
#1 · Posted: 4 Apr 2005 05:49
Howdy

When I was 9, my ultimate dream was to own the full set of Tintin books. To my dismay this did not happen for my tenth birthday.
I am now 29, with a 30th looming. Time to make the dream a reality!

Anyway, my question is this: hardbacks are about $25AU each and PBs are $18AU each. Should I bite the bullet, and get the whole set in hardback? Is it a no brainer and worth the extra dough?

Also due a contact with the publisher, I can get a 25% discount on the 24 books (incl. Soviets, Alph-art and Lake of Sharks).

Any other thoughts before I take the plunge and spend big?
marsbar
#2 · Posted: 4 Apr 2005 05:58
It's a no brainer: bite the bullet and get the hardbacks! :-)
jockosjungle
#3 · Posted: 4 Apr 2005 07:41
Well I have a selection of paperbacks mostly but it was when I was younger and couldn't afford the hardbacks.

Go for the hardbacks if you can afford it

Rik
jock123
#4 · Posted: 4 Apr 2005 15:11
Look at it this way - with your 25% discount you will get a hard-back collection for approximately what others would only get a paper-back collection for, and if you are on a tight budget, go for the maximum number of hard-backs you can get!
Peveus
#5 · Posted: 5 Apr 2005 03:50
I live in Australia as well and I recently got the standard 21 stories, Alph-Art, Soviets and the Complete Companion from Dymocks. However, did you think about the 3-in-1s? That's how I bought them... They're smaller, yeah, but that doesn't really matter. They're $39.95 each as well (So thats quite a saving).

--
Off topic-ish:
Also, Congo is coming out in Australia in November. I'm not sure if it's B&W or color because the 130ish page Soviets in B&W was $39.95 but Congo, the english version of which is suppposed to be the B&W version only, is $24.95 - the price of the 62 page color ones. We shall see. November is quite a wait though :(

[Reply from Moderator (marsbar) to Peveus' off topic-ish comments:
a) Try and stay on topic, please!
b) The 'new' Congo may be in colour and in the form of one of the facsimile editions. Keep an eye on this thread, "What's the official word on Tintin in the Congo" for more information about the new Congo album.
c) Surely you mean AUD42.95 (for the black and white edition Congo), not AUD24.95.]
snafu
#6 · Posted: 5 Apr 2005 16:38
I greatly enjoyed the paperbacks, but that reflects my tastes. I like flexible stuff.

I hope that the original versions of Tintin will also appear in paperback.

True, paperbacks are not as durable as hardcovers, but broken spines are not a pleasant sight...Look at what happened to my well-read Tintin 3-in-1 volumes : (

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!