Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Wanted: Tintin videos - vendor recommendation?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

snafu
#1 · Posted: 28 May 2005 05:17
Although I am not a real fan of the Tintin videos (one episode did it), a friend of mine asked if I could tell him where he can buy these shows. Unfortunately, amazon.com, where many things can be bought, doesn't show such merchandise, suggesting that there are no Tintin videos available in the States on sale here. Where could I find Tintin videos on sale in the US? Thanks!
Richard
UK Correspondent
#2 · Posted: 28 May 2005 18:51
I think only two videos have ever been produced in the US (of the Ellipse-Nelvana series), Cigars of the Pharaoh and The Secret of the Unicorn, released by Universal. I don't think they're still available, though. It would probably be worth picking up the R1 DVD series which is now available for a very low price at DVD Soon (see this thread here).
snafu
#3 · Posted: 28 May 2005 19:06
How about the cartoon series (I was able to borrow "The Black Island" from the NYPL system, but I can't remember who made and have no idea how they got it). Can videotapes be obtained? Thanks!
Richard
UK Correspondent
#4 · Posted: 28 May 2005 20:04
I'm not sure - the Belvision series, I think, was released by Sony in the 1960s in the US. They were in cardboard sleeves, and I'm assuming in NTSC format.

Which series did The Black Island you saw belong to ? These are two screenshots, one from the 1960s Belvision, and one from the 1990s Ellipse-Nelvana series :

Belvision

Ellipse-Nelvana

The Ellipse-Nelvana series is generally very faithful to the original material, and is the one that is currently available on the Universal DVD label. It's also that series that the two videos were available from that I mentioned in my earlier post ; I'm not sure how many of the Belvision series was released, but I've seen most of them at some point or other on eBay or Amazon zShops (except The Calculus Affair / Case).
snafu
#5 · Posted: 29 May 2005 04:25
The funny thing about "The Black Island" that I saw was that Captain Haddock and Professor Calculus were in the story (it may have been Belvision). Thanks for the information, though.
Tintinrulz
#6 · Posted: 29 May 2005 05:36
That's definetly the Belvision version. They are SO unfaithful to the series.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#7 · Posted: 29 May 2005 13:42
Yes, I'm afraid they are rather loose with their adaptation. If that's the only episode of any Tintin episode you've seen, then I definitely recommend picking up a copy of the Ellipse-Nelvana series. They were very faithful to the original material, even going as far as using panels from the books in their storyboards. The artwork is of a fairly high standard, excelling toward the end of the series (episodes such as the Moon story and Tintin in America). If possible, it's worth picking up a copy of the R1 DVDs to see an accurate and faithful adaptation.
Tintinrulz
#8 · Posted: 29 May 2005 14:45
Richard, I noticed Tintin's hairline is most often not with a black outline but at rare occasions is. Also he often slips between having white socks and skin coloured lower legs. Its a bit annoying but I guess no one's perfect.
Jyrki21
#9 · Posted: 29 May 2005 16:46
I know a copy of the Belvision Shooting Star exists, since I have it...
doubleT
#10 · Posted: 9 Aug 2006 21:12
Is the Belevision version of The Black Island available on VHS or DVD?

If so I'd kind of like to have it, but it has to be spoken in English! Not English subtitles, but English audio!

Also, if anyone answers with the word "dubbed", does "dubbed" mean "spoken"?

Moderator Note: Now now! Please don't resort to using all upper-case when posting - it looks like you are shouting at your fellow members, which is rude. You are trying to get them to help you by answering your question, and if all you do is shout, they might not feel like responding.
Your message has been edited accordingly.
"Dubbed", according to an on-line dictionary means "to provide (a film) with a soundtrack in a different language from the original" or to "add (sound effects or music) to a film or recording".
The Tidy Tintinologist Team

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

This topic is closed.