Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

French facsimile editions of the books

GurraJG
#1 · Posted: 13 Jul 2005 18:38
I just came back from a trip to France, and needless to say, I took the opertunity to buy some Tintin relate items. I just have a few question relating to the French editions of the albums:

1. Are there any softcover versions of the albums in French? I only saw hardcover.

2. I found some books covered in plastic, but they look just like the normal books, except that they had a fancier spine, and that on the back it said something like "Collection Tintin par Hergé". One of these was the first color version of The Black Island, but also versions of newer albums, which to my knowledge aren't modified in the normal versions. My question is, what's so special about these fancier versions?

Thanks in advance,

-Gustav
Richard
UK Correspondent
#2 · Posted: 13 Jul 2005 18:56
Hope you enjoyed your trip !

1. That topic was discussed here. I don't think we really reached a consensus, but I've only ever seen hardbacks.

2. They're facsimiles of the first colour editions. As you saw for The Black Island, some are very different to the present day editions (that was the first one produced in the facsimile series, back in 1996 I think). Others, such as Tintin in the Congo were barely changed, with the only differences being little things such as colours on the cover, lettering etc.

The books are printed on a matt-style paper, with more pastel-like colours, and have a plain spine (to mimic the leathery effect of the originals). Etienne Pollet of Casterman is in charge of producing them, with the aim of releasing the entire series in this format (including Flight 714 and Tintin and the Picaros with plain grey spines).

It's worth reading through some of the comments sections on Casterman's site (here) for an insight into the little differences between editions, although it's all in French.

I really like the facsimiles, they somehow feel to me to be more like a Tintin book should, instead of the high-gloss / plastic pages of the current editions.
GurraJG
#3 · Posted: 14 Jul 2005 17:45
Thanks for your answer. To bad I don't speak French, otherwise I would have enjoyed reading about the changes.

Just one more question: in some of the books, like Picaros or the second Moon book, are the pages which were left out in the current editions included in the facsimiles. If they are, I really regret that I didn't buy one...

-Gustav
Richard
UK Correspondent
#4 · Posted: 14 Jul 2005 19:19 · Edited by: Richard
GurraJG
Just one more question: in some of the books, like Picaros or the second Moon book, are the pages which were left out in the current editions included in the facsimiles

No, not in the ones that have been released so far anyway. The colour facsimiles simply replicate the original first editions, 62 pages in length. There's a facsimile edition of Prisoners of the Sun as it appeared in Tintin Magazine, which has all the horizontal pages scanned directly from the original issues, and there are a few pages of the magazine's version of the Moon story in Nous, Tintin, a recent release based on a special edition of the magazine Télérama.

In the facsimile series, three have been released per year. King Ottokar's Sceptre is planned for this year. The Moon books are scheduled for release next year, followed by The Crab with the Golden Claws. The series therefore stands as :

· The Black Island (1996)
· Land of Black Gold (2000)
· The Seven Crystal Balls ; Prisoners of the Sun (2001)
· The Broken Ear ; The Secret of the Unicorn ; Red Rackham's Treasure (2002)
· The Red Sea Sharks ; Cigars of the Pharaoh ; The Blue Lotus (2003)
· Tintin in the Congo ; Tintin in Tibet ; Tintin in America (2004)
· The Calculus Affair ; The Shooting Star (2005)

To be published :
· King Ottokar's Sceptre (2005)
· Destination Moon ; Explorers on the Moon ; The Crab with the Golden Claws (2006)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!