Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

“Tintin and the World of Hergé”: Worth getting?

ClaroQuerido
#1 · Posted: 8 Aug 2005 22:39 · Edited by: ClaroQuerido
Just wondering whether to buy this. I have Michael Farr's so I'm wondering if they are very similar? If so I'll not bother buying it. I thought Farr's book was good for information but not so good for analysis and inerpretation/speculation. Is Benôit Peeters' book any better in that way? Has anyone read the 'Making of Tintin' books? I thought they where really good. If only there had been one for every book! Is Peeters' book like them?
Jyrki21
#2 · Posted: 8 Aug 2005 23:14
I own both, and I think Farr's is quite superior. It covers most of Peeters' ground, and more.

The one advantage of Peeters' book, I think, is that is has more pictures and more information on non-Tintin aspects of Hergé.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 8 Aug 2005 23:16
Tintin and the World of Hergé is a great book, the first one I ever read about the series and Hergé. It's separated into a number of parts - a brief biography of Hergé, an analysis of every single book, the other series (Jo & Zette, Quick & Flupke and Popol & Virginie) and Hergé's design work (as far as I can remember).

To some extent it interprets the books, a lot more than Farr's book, which I personally found to be a little too technical at times, and reproduced too many quotes from the books (that's not to say I didn't enjoy it, it was thoroughly researched and really nicely presented, with plenty of things that I didn't know about). But with regard to M. Peeters' book, there's a lot of interesting things that you might not have seen before, such as the Christmas card designs and earlier versions of the books - there's plenty about the 1943 edition of The Black Island.

So basically yes, I'd recommend buying the book. I find it better than Farr's, but that's just my own personal preference. And if you can pick up a French edition, there's a considerable amount more, such as the film adaptations, collectibles and the like.
jockosjungle
#4 · Posted: 9 Aug 2005 06:12
If you can find it at a reasonable price I would definitely get it, I found it superior to Farr's effort also. Probably less detailed but it has more interesting information

Rik
ClaroQuerido
#5 · Posted: 9 Aug 2005 22:42 · Edited by: ClaroQuerido
Thanks for your responses! I'll have a look for it on ebay and amazon (unfortunately I can't read French - does anybody know any other languages it was published in? Apart from English I only know Portuguese and Spanish)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!