Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / The Members Lounge /

Japanese tigers and ghosts

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

doubleT
#1 · Posted: 18 Aug 2006 20:49
Can anyone here tell me if there were ever any tigers in Japan, and I'm NOT talking about a sports team?

Also, if there were any tigers in Japan, what's the Japanese belifs about tigers?

I'm perticuallury intersted to hear if there myths about tigers in that are similly to the myths of foxes having shapeshifting powers in Japan.
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 19 Aug 2006 06:08
No, there weren't tigers in Japan. But the myths of shapeshifting foxes and takini's is well documented in the Miyazaki anime movie: Pom Poko.
doubleT
#3 · Posted: 19 Aug 2006 17:42
Okay than, but can anyone give me a list of the different animals that have shapeshifting powers in Japanese mythology, besides foxes, cats, snakes, and takinis, which are shapeshifting racoons.
Tintinrulz
#4 · Posted: 20 Aug 2006 00:48
Why is this important? I don't believe there are any other mythological Japanese shape-shifting animals.
doubleT
#5 · Posted: 20 Aug 2006 16:56
It's for a Tintin story I'm thinking up.

I can't really tell you anything about it, out of fear that might get in trouble if I tell anything about it.
Tintinrulz
#6 · Posted: 21 Aug 2006 02:04
Sounds great! I don't think you would get in trouble for writing a Tintin story. As long as you didn't promote it here. Sadly that's the case. Can't stand 'M.'
igagli
#7 · Posted: 21 Aug 2006 07:17 · Edited by: igagli
Japanese monster and ghost database
http://www.nichibun.ac.jp/youkaidb/

The database describes about 16,000 monster and ghosts short articles.

The page listed major monster:
Kitsune (fox), Tanuki and Mujina (Raccoon), Hebi (Snake), Oni (Ogre), Hinotama (Fire ball), Neko (Cat), Tengu (Goblin with long nose),Kappa (Water imp), Daija (Big snake - 10 or more meters),
Yurei (Ghost), and others.

Posted: 20 Aug 2006 23:44:21
Bear is the strongest living Japanese wild animal.
Wolf is extincted in early the 20th century.

Tigar and Elephant do not live in Japan, but old Japanese knows them by painting or old tail.

--
[Combined 2 consecutive posts]
CLR
#8 · Posted: 27 Aug 2006 00:43
according to wikipedia tiger fossils have been found in japan, though it does not say when the tigers may have lived there. it does say that the bones were those of smaller tigers, the size of tigers who live on islands.
doubleT
#9 · Posted: 18 Jan 2007 02:25
Can anyone tell me how, in Japanese mythology and folklore, that someone who was benevolent in life, can be somewhat melevolent as a ghost, because it seems to me that in Japanese ghost stories, the ghost was a good person in life but as a ghost is rather nasty.

And before anyone asks what this has to do with Tintin, this is for a Tintin story I'm working on, which I can't tell you anything about as per the rules.
igagli
#10 · Posted: 18 Jan 2007 06:27 · Edited by: igagli
doubleT
you may check here first.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Japanese_folklore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Japanese_mythology

Note: Some mythology page have many of false rumor by fanatic Korean students.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!