Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Kilts: cool or uncool?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

tintinspartan
#1 · Posted: 15 May 2007 12:06
I'm not sure whether I might insult anyone, but did teens ever wear kilts in the past, and if so, what about now? If I look at Tintin in a kilt, his appearance looks cute and appeals to girls - but I'm not sure whether anybody else would agree?
Ranko
#2 · Posted: 15 May 2007 12:33
http://www.kiltmen.com/

Help me out on this, jock! :-)
tintinspartan
#3 · Posted: 15 May 2007 13:37
Oh, I see the 'cuteness' but modern culture thinks it's being gay.
My friends says that to me when they read The Black Island.
tuhatkauno
#4 · Posted: 15 May 2007 14:07
There is nothing wrong with the kilts, Spartan. I wish we had kilts or same kind of a piece of cloth, but it's a dangerous wish, there won't be a single Finnish baby on the earth if we start wearing skirts. Not after the first winter.

Tintin doesn't look girlish or gay to me, weird and hilarious maybe. Take a look at the hat and the strawberry on it! The costume is definitely very mannish, in mysterious way, but it is. :-)
jock123
#5 · Posted: 15 May 2007 14:42
tintinspartan
I'm not sure whether I might insult anyone, but did teens ever wear kilts in the past, and if so, what about now?
Yes, boys, men, and yes, sometimes girls and women wear kilts in Scotland, Ireland and anywhere the Scots and Irish live - or Scottish-inspired culture thrives.
I know for a fact that the lady who made my kilt has also made kilts for members of a pipe band in Singapore, so yes even there too!
Plus Greek soldiers wear a fustanella, their own form of kilt, as modeled by The Thom(p)sons; Bangladeshi men wear the lungi; and the sarong is just a kilt, but without the pleats.
So I don't know where the idea of "nerdy" came from in your header.
modern culture thinks it's being gay.
Which modern culture? That is just your impression perhaps, but you can't extend it in such a sweeping fashion.
It's a completely non-gender specific garment, to be worn whatever your sexuality: it has no more connotations than shoes or socks, so I don't know where you got that idea from.
My friends says that to me when they read The Black Island.
Well so what? What difference does that make? As I said, anyone is welcome to wear a kilt.
tuhatkauno
weird and hilarious
Ah yes, unlike the serious and sober Finnish national costume, eh? ;-)
labrador road 26
#6 · Posted: 15 May 2007 15:30
Kilts are übercool, as far as I'm concerned.
I would sure love to have one myself, but heard something that is not proper to wear one if your not Scottish - I guess the forum members from Scotland could shed some light onto this?
It might have something to do with the pattern being connected to the clans, if I'm not mistaken.

And remember "Mister Macho" himself, James Bond, wore a kilt in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
kiwichick
#7 · Posted: 15 May 2007 18:10
labrador road 26
I would sure love to have one myself, but heard something that is not proper to wear one if your not Scottish.
You can wear one of my tartans, we have two. Apparently. :)

tintinspartan
but modern culture thinks it's being gay. My friends says that to me when they read The Black Island.

I hardly think the opinions of a group of 14 year olds count as 'Modern Culture'.

More like 'winding up a mate', to me.
jock123
#8 · Posted: 15 May 2007 22:05
labrador road 26
I would sure love to have one myself, but heard something that is not proper to wear one if your not Scottish
Oh no! Go right ahead, there is no problem! You have my permission, if anyone asks... ;-)
Seriously, Scottish people are just pleased to see someone take an interest, there are no restrictions on where you come from, and lots of people from all over the world, of all races, colours and creeds (or none) wear the kilt.
It might have something to do with the pattern being connected to the clans if I'm not mistaken.
Well a very few tartans have prohibitions placed on them. Some of the royal tartans, like Balmoral, are only to be worn by members of the British Royal Family and their household; and some clans have a tartan reserved exclusively for the chieftain.
Many clans will let you join if you don't actually have a clan of your own, and you could actually join more than one if you so desired - they tend to operate clan societies, and may have a branch in your area.
Another option would be to find a district tartan (there are many of these, and they probably predate family tartans) representing geographic areas; or regimental tartans with a military history, and if you have a regiment in your locale, you could wear that tartan as a show of support; and there are even corporate ones for companies (although it is unlikely that you would want to wear a Scottish Gas kilt if you didn't work for them).
If you can't make your mind up from thse options, you have the universal tartans, such as Black Watch and Royal Stewart (which are also regimental and royal tartans respectively), which anyone can wear.
If you are after something different, you could always have a black one, or a denim one, or a cammo one, or even a leather one...
Also if you look at the page here, you will see that Swedes have a connection to a couple of tartans, so that might be a start.
Mainly just go for a look you like - some tartans are horrible garish things, and some are lovely, so just choose the one you like!
Me, I have a Scottish kilt, but made in an Irish regional tartan, because that's where my dad's and mum's ancestors came from.
tintinspartan
#9 · Posted: 16 May 2007 04:16
Well, I swear my friends will just laugh at people who wears kilts.
Why do people wear kilts, anyway?
tuhatkauno
#10 · Posted: 16 May 2007 09:28
jock123

Haa, you old Scottish blood dog have dug up the highly guarded Finnish secrets. Fortunately there are still the best ones unfound (I refer to Lapps). You will nivver find them! ;)

[Too late - just did! ;-) -- signed, jock123]

labrador road 26

Now that you mentioned, on what kind of occasion would you wear kilt in Sweden. When watching Allsvenskan (Swedish football league) on your coach? Or when walking with your wife on Sundays? Don't get me wrong. As you noticed, I fancy a kilt as well, but I cannot find a single occasion when to wear it. Hey, if you're planning to get a Scottish kilt, why not to choose Tintin's kilt, that would be a proper kilt for a tintinologist, eller hur?

tintinspartan

Why do people wear kilts

Is your question philosophical or practical? If practical, people should wear something. I am very liberal, but here is the limit. ;)

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

This topic is closed.