Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / The Members Lounge /

Correct link to the "katar" named "kukri" (Cigars)

yamilah
#1 · Posted: 29 May 2007 08:13
Sorry I gave a wrong link the other day (Q232) for Tintin Trivia Quiz

The correct one is http://tintin.eugraph.com/tqsect/wriquiz/answers/index.html
Please then see Quiz Answer Number 140

The same type of comment can be read on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigars_of_the_Pharaoh
but is missing in its French counterpart, thus it would be unfair to ask French speaking Tintinologists about this drawn "katar" ~(:-)
jock123
#2 · Posted: 29 May 2007 10:28 · Edited by: jock123
I’m lost - what does St. Elmo (the answer to Q.140) have to do with the question you asked about the katar?

As for your point about unfairness to French Tintinologists, well that’s for you to decide, but the arena would be a French Tintin site, obviously.

If in fact you are taking a side-swipe at my judgement in the trivia quiz, well it doesn’t change my mind. The question you set was tantamount to impossible, because you set it in such an opaque fashion.

You could easily have rendered it in a far more reasonable fashion, such as: “The dagger identified in Cigars as a kukri is in fact another type of knife, and should be known by a name which happens to also be the alternate spelling of a country. What should the dagger have been called?”

That way the contestant is only at one remove from the answer, not the minimum of two, possibly three, they would have to negotiate to get your version (Which object is misidentified? What should it be called, and is that the name of a country?).
yamilah
#3 · Posted: 29 May 2007 11:57 · Edited by: yamilah
I’m lost - what does St. Elmo (the answer to Q.140) have to do with the question you asked about the katar?

I meant the question from the site tintin.eugraph.com that reads:

140. What is a kukri?
A kukri is a heavy knife famed for its use by the Nepalese Gurkhas.
An unnamed military man shows a knife to Tintin on page 40 of Cigars of the Pharaoh and calls it a kukri. The knife shown, however, is not a kukri (picture), but a katar (picture)

Thus Q232 was certainly not impossible, but merely multicultural...
jock123
#4 · Posted: 29 May 2007 23:27
Ah - clarity strikes! Thanks!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!