Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Are the Elven-rings not bad?

cigars of the beeper
#1 · Posted: 24 Jul 2007 22:27
Hi everyone,
I dont know how many of you have read or watched "The Lord of the Rings" but I just want to know If anyone knows the deal with the Elven-rings. at the end of The Return of the King Gandalf is wearing one of them, and Queen Galadriel and the king (I don't remember his name) have one too. Neither of them are bad or would succumb to temtation of anything evil, so the Elven-rings must not be evil. I guess now I might also know who here likes "The Lord of the Rings" like I do. By the way, I like the books and am not interested in the movies. I am afraid that the story may have been ruined. "Ten Rings For the Tintinologists in their far,far lands." ;)
Little Mijarka
#2 · Posted: 12 Mar 2008 05:48
I too really love the Lord of the Rings. In my opinion, the best books ever written. Isn't it ironic that the most famous FANTASY trilogy ever was so well written it feels like HISTORY?

I have wondered about the rings too, and I think the rings were neither good nor evil, just sort of a reinstatement of power. If you noticed, only the elven leaders received them, I think Elrond, Gandalf and Galadriel. The rings of the men were made evil because of their lust for power and Sauron, if you read the Silmarillion, was sort of the "fallen angel" (not really) and turned his ring of power evil and in turn the men's rings of power were considered evil. Why Gandalf, an Istari/wizard has one I'm not sure.

Even though you probably are opposed to the movies, they aren't as far off as you might think. Of course, many, many things were omitted but I think if you just want to enjoy a brief version, they will do just that. (Even though the movies themselves aren't brief at all).

But nothing can ever hold a candle to the magic and beauty that is Tolkien's masterpiece.

~ Little Mijarka

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!