Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Has anyone read "Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi?

Dupondt
#1 · Posted: 11 Dec 2007 15:52
Has anyone read the comic by Marjane Satrapi called Persepolis?
I'm not sure if it's in English too but it's been made into a film and been nominated for an Oscar. Anyway, just curious, it's an amazing book, it's her autobiography in comic form, about growing up in Iran during the war.
darkpetals
#2 · Posted: 11 Dec 2007 19:08
I recently saw an advertisement of the film, and really wanted to see it, but it seems that it isn't shown in any of my town's cinemas, which makes me sad. I surely will watch it if it comes out on DVD or something.
What I didn't know though, is that it was based on a comic book. Now I will watch out for the comic book as well!
mondrian
#3 · Posted: 11 Dec 2007 22:21
I've read the first part, yet to read the second one. Unfortunately I missed the film when it was screening in my hometown, have to wait for dvd-release.

I'm well impressed so far, she deserves all the praise and success she's getting. Gives a different viewpoint into Iran, which is needed as the news reports tend to give only a two-dimensional picture.
Dupondt
#4 · Posted: 12 Dec 2007 20:06
I have all four in one volume and I saw the film at the launch of the Dublin French film festival.
The animation is beautiful and superb voice acting
Little Mijarka
#5 · Posted: 11 Mar 2008 04:37
I read these books very recently and was amazed at how poignant they were despite the plain black-and-white drawings. The film was really well-done. It pained me though to hear one of my friends criticize it because it was a "comic book" and therefore "not serious."

Comic book...some people don't get it...

Remind you of anything?

~Little Mijarka
Dupondt
#6 · Posted: 11 Mar 2008 16:55
Exactly, it was nominated for an Oscar too, I loved Ratatouille but I feel it should have beaten it in best animation.
Little Mijarka
#7 · Posted: 12 Mar 2008 05:27
I too was disappointed it didn't win. Yes, Ratatouille was a rather good film, one of Pixar's best, I'd go so far as to say, but as far as relevence to today's world, Persepolis should have received a little more credit.

~ Little Mijarka

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!