Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Tintin's arrival in comic-hating America

doubleT
#1 · Posted: 1 Jan 2008 20:20
A little something I'm curious about.

How was it that Tintin came to the U.S. during a time when comics were genealy hated, what with the whole craze that comics are harmful to kids and the propaganda for that,(i.e. Dr. Fredric Wertham and his book "Seduction or the Innocent" what did he think of Tintin.
labrador road 26
#2 · Posted: 2 Jan 2008 00:51
I wouldn't say that comics were hated, but the Comics Code did arrive and with that the decline of EC Comics and other small publishers. I never heard that comic books like Archie and Disney were hated and the silver age saw a prosperous time for Marvel and DC. I believe it was mostly horror and crime comics that was the target of the anti-comics campaign. Of course even the titles that someway glorified drug use was also under fire. Can't really see that Tintin have any similarity to the comics that were debated.

Though I'm not sure exactly when Tintin premiered in USA.
Harrock n roll
#3 · Posted: 2 Jan 2008 16:54
You can read more about Tintin's arrival in America in the article Tintin crosses the Atlantic: The Golden Press affair.

The American publishers hoped that Tintin wouldn't resemble a standard 'comic-book' and therefore escape the anti-comic movement. The critics liked the books but people weren't used to paying $2 for one when an ordinary comic cost just 25 cents.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!