Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

The Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien

Page  Page 1 of 13:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 

cigars of the beeper
#1 · Posted: 17 Mar 2008 19:06
I started a similar thread like this a while back, but that was only about the Elven-Rings and whether they were bad or not, and I have searched the forums and not found any about The Lord of the Rings, so I thought I would start one.
Anyway, who here likes The Lord of the Rings (the books, I mean)? I think that it is one of the best stories I've ever read, and I will definitely read it again, maybe even very soon. I actually have not seen the movies, so we can also discuss whether or not I should see them. I think that I should put a
"Lord of the Rings Spoiler Warning" on here so that we can talk about the climactic end and such. Bring all Lord of the Rings related comments here! I'm sure plenty of Tintinologists are also LOTR fans!
Grey
#2 · Posted: 17 Mar 2008 19:49
I used to read LOTR when I was a kid, including the somewhat prequel The Hobbit. They are pretty good. Got to say my favourite is Legolas, he can walk on snow.
Triskeliae
#3 · Posted: 18 Mar 2008 02:12
As The Adventures of Tintin, The Lord of The Rings have made my life more interesting. I love books and good films and TV series. I'm glad to see that the classics can be rediscovered and enjoyed time and again.

So, "Elen Sila Lumen Omentielvo!"
"A Star shines in the hour of our meeting!"
cigars of the beeper
#4 · Posted: 18 Mar 2008 20:13
Is that Elvish you're speaking?
Dupondt
#5 · Posted: 19 Mar 2008 01:32
I never really got into it to be honest, I'm not big on fantasy, the furthest I'd go would be Northern Lights or the Otori books. I've read LOTR and seen the films, impressive CGI to say the least.
Triskeliae
#6 · Posted: 19 Mar 2008 01:45
Yes. That was Elven. Frodo greeted a group of Elves in that manner, in "The Fellowship of the Ring" book.

More ...
Posted: 19 Mar 2008 01:56:16

To cigars of the beeper:
"Elen sila lumen omentielvo"
That was Elven. Pleased to meet you. I must say I didn't know about chicken called beepers. It's funny to imagine a chicken smoking a fine cigar! :)

--
[Moderator action: Combined 2 consecutive posts]
Moderator note: instead of making consecutive posts, please try to remember to use the 'Edit' function to update a post.
cigars of the beeper
#7 · Posted: 19 Mar 2008 17:23
Triskeliae
Pleased to meet you. I must say I didn't know about chicken called beepers. It's funny to imagine a chicken smoking a fine cigar! :)

I guess you have been sifting through the "explain your username" thread, eh?
that is the only place where I ever mentioned it. They are not really called "Beepers", it's just what I call 'em. I have four of them.

Anyway, going back to Tolkien's great tale, when I read the chapter "The Concil of Elrond", and Gandalf actually dared to say One ring to rule them all in the Black Speech, I couldn't help myself, and also said it out loud. ;)
Triskeliae
#8 · Posted: 19 Mar 2008 19:08
Cute chicken! Thanks for the photo! Maybe we can use it for a new brand of Cigars!

So, you've been tempted by the dark side, uh?
Really, Tolkien was a genius creating all those languages for Middle Earth, including the Language of Mordor. This is Dark Elven Speech.

The most common Elven Language is Sindarin. It comes from an older Elven Speech called Quenya. There's a book that analyzes the languages Tolkien made. It's called "The languages of Tolkien's Middle Earth", by Ruth S. Noel.

Quoting from that book:
"The inscription over the west gate of Moria. Sindarin,... [book 1].

Ennyn Durin Aran Moria: The doors of Durin Lord of Moria

pedo mellon a minno... speak friend and enter..."
cigars of the beeper
#9 · Posted: 20 Mar 2008 18:25
Maybe the new brand of cigars could be called "Cigars of the Beeper". Anyway, beepers are actually extremely annoying. I need to keep them locked up while all of the other chickens run free, because they wander away. There used to be six of them, but two of them wandered away.

back to LOTR: I liked that part with "Speak friend and enter" :]
I thought it was also funny what Gandalf said when he discovered what the riddle means. It was something like "Childishly simple, as most riddles are once you discover what they mean."
I was sad a few chapters after that when Gandalf seemed to have died fighting the Balrog, but when he returned in The Two Towers, it was great.
Triskeliae
#10 · Posted: 20 Mar 2008 22:10
Yeah, he achieved the highest degree wizards get after that: he became Gandalf the White.

And the part of "speak friend" was hilarious! I also like the name for Gandalf in Elven tongue: Mithrandir. It means "Grey Wanderer". In the films, when Aragorn and Arwen speak in Sindarin...it's beautiful. I wish I could speak the language that fluently!

P.S. I'm sorry you lost 2 beepers already. 'Cigars of the Beeper' would be a hip brand though!

Page  Page 1 of 13:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!