Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

The Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien

Page  Page 12 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 

Triskeliae
#111 · Posted: 20 May 2008 00:17
The movie covers on the books really don't annoy me, but I'd rather have a book with an original cover.

I believe the book industry does that to appeal to the people that prefer to see the movies first.
cigars of the beeper
#112 · Posted: 20 May 2008 18:41
I wonder how many people were introduced to the books through the movies. I hope lots.

I just finished reading The Silmarillion today, and also finished reading The Lord of the Rings for the second time. What a day!
Triskeliae
#113 · Posted: 20 May 2008 19:36
Congrats! That's quite an achievement! I still haven't read the whole Silmarillion, nor repeated the other books.
cigars of the beeper
#114 · Posted: 21 May 2008 14:39
Now I'm reading The Hobbit again. I read it only a year ago, but I remember almost nothing about it. Of course, I do remember the part with Gollum in it, because he is so memorable.
jock123
#115 · Posted: 21 May 2008 20:23
cigars of the beeper wrote:
I read it only a year ago, but I remember almost nothing about it.

Could it possibly be related to the speed at which you say you read books?
I like to get to the end of a book to find out what happens as much as the next person, but I also like to savour it along the way too, and hence I can remember books that I read decades ago, never mind a year back. In fact I often have to wait years to re-read something, in order that I don’t remember too much about it, and can come at it afresh.
cigars of the beeper
#116 · Posted: 22 May 2008 19:04
Last year was when I started reading a lot, and I had not yet figured out when and where my best places to read were yet, Jock. That's why I don't remember much about it. I seemed to have a habit then of reading without comprehending, too, which I have now busted. Those seem to be the reasons for my "forgetfulness".
Triskeliae
#117 · Posted: 28 May 2008 18:46
It happens to me. For example, when I was writing my MA thesis, I've read a lot of books on the side to rest my mind from so much research (The Merlin Conspiracy; The Keys to the Kingdom- fantasy stories). But now I have to repeat them because I didn't have my whole concentration on them. I can remember bits and pieces, but not the whole stories.
cigars of the beeper
#118 · Posted: 28 May 2008 23:00
The other day a friend gave me a great LOTR board game. It's called War of the Ring, and it appears to be from 1977. I haven't played it yet, but that's just because I am needing to familiarize myself with the rules (there are lots of them). Once I play it, I'll let everyone know what it's like. It seems to have a potential to be very good!
Triskeliae
#119 · Posted: 28 May 2008 23:57
I have The Lord of The Rings Trivia game. I have it for collection purposes. I'm not a fan of table games. But, if I play it one day, I must be surrounded by Ringers like myself. Right now, I'm alone. :(
cigars of the beeper
#120 · Posted: 30 May 2008 01:05
Yeah, even though the movies made LOTR more popular, fans are still few and far between.

Page  Page 12 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!