Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

The Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien

Page  Page 2 of 13:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 

cigars of the beeper
#11 · Posted: 21 Mar 2008 19:51
It was something like Gandalf actually did die in the fight with the balrog, but he was sent back to Middle-Earth because his task was not yet finished. I never saw any reference to any god or anything in the books, but what else would send him back? I still don't understand that part.

As for the two lost beepers, I think that it might have been natural selection at work: The unfit being removed from the population. Their feathers cover their eyes sometimes, and they cannot see.
Triskeliae
#12 · Posted: 22 Mar 2008 15:26
The Divine origins of the Istari (wizards like Gandalf), the Elves, etc., come from ' The Silmarillion', by Tolkien. Mind you, The Silmarillion is heavy reading. I haven't read it completely. But there are books about this one and the Ring trilogy that explain all that.

The main god in this mythology is called Iluvatar, who created the Valar (like the angels) and the rest of Middle Earth and its creatures.
cigars of the beeper
#13 · Posted: 22 Mar 2008 16:01
I'll probably read The Silmarillion at some time (or try to).
I know J. R. R. Tolkien was a Cristian (Catholic, like Herge), so I would think that he would make Middle-Earth have one God, and make him be like God in the Bible.
Triskeliae
#14 · Posted: 22 Mar 2008 17:35
More or less. What Tolkien wanted was to give Brittain an epic myth like the Kalevala was for Finland. Brittain lacked a creation myth; maybe there was, but it didn't survive history. So, Tolkien decided to make one.
Dupondt
#15 · Posted: 22 Mar 2008 21:56
What about the legends of King Arthur? That's survived.
Tintinrulz
#16 · Posted: 23 Mar 2008 08:17
King Arthur is more French than English in origin.
Sapristi
#17 · Posted: 23 Mar 2008 13:10
I did my 2nd year English Literature project on Tolkien many years ago. It became a labour of love; i even copied some of his illustrations and calligraphy for its front cover.

I was surprised to find that he wrote TLOTR as a kind of allegory to the Cold War, and how the One Ring was a metaphor for the atom bomb; a power that can only corrupt and destroy.

My favourite book of his is The Hobbit: i like the friendly informal style he tells the tale. There is also a comic book version made in the 90s that sticks very faithfully to the story, and is beautifully illustrated.
Tintinrulz
#18 · Posted: 24 Mar 2008 00:58
He wrote Lord of the Rings long before the Cold War and he thought it up during World War 1 (parts became the Silmarillion). But no, it's not allegory to the Cold War or any war (although it draws on his experiences in the trenches). It's more about the nature of temptation (eg. the ring) and a group of very different people coming together to hold back the darkness engulfing their lands.
Dupondt
#19 · Posted: 24 Mar 2008 01:14
I listened to some Led Zeppelin last night, hadn't in ages! They sing a bit about LOTR, the battle of evermore is a great song.
Tintinrulz
#20 · Posted: 24 Mar 2008 02:06
Many bands of the 70's and 80's were fans of Tolkien's works, so that's no surprise. Led Zepplin have some good music.

Page  Page 2 of 13:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!