Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

The Monkees

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Triskeliae
#1 · Posted: 19 Apr 2008 03:18
[Branched off from the "Introduce yourself" thread.]

No kidding! The Monkees started as a comedy TV series about a struggling Rock'n Roll band. I have VHS's of my favorite episodes and all the CD's.
cigars of the beeper
#2 · Posted: 20 Apr 2008 00:48
I'm told that this Monkee fellow lives around, but I've never seen him. A few times he has sung for local charity events and his picture has been in the paper. That's my only proof that he's here. Whenever I see a giant house I wonder if it's his.
Triskeliae
#3 · Posted: 20 Apr 2008 01:17
Which one? Davy Jones, Mike Nesmith, Peter Tork or Mickey Dolenz?
My guess is either Mike Nesmith or Peter Tork.
cigars of the beeper
#4 · Posted: 21 Apr 2008 21:00
Peter Tork is the one.
EDIT: Wait, one of them is named Davy Jones? Did he change his name to that or something?
jock123
#5 · Posted: 22 Apr 2008 07:22
cigars of the beeper wrote:
Did he change his name to that or something?

Nope - he's always been David Thomas Jones. Singer David Bowie changed his name (he was David Robert Hayward-Jones, and was in a group called the Davie Jones & the Lower Third at the time of The Monkees) to avoid confusion with the Manchester Moptop.

Peter Tork has had a lot of problems since the sixties, so I wouldn't look for too huge a house... He's a fantastic instrumentalist (keyboards, guitar, banjo, French horn...), so try and catch him if he plays live - either solo or with his band, Shoe Suede Blues.
Triskeliae
#6 · Posted: 22 Apr 2008 13:21
Thanks, Jock 123!

Which episode you like the most? I like the one where Mickey has a gangster lookalike.
jock123
#7 · Posted: 22 Apr 2008 19:37
Triskeliae wrote:
I like the one where Mickey has a gangster lookalike.

That’s Alias Micky Dolenz, in which he impersonates “Babyface”, and does his whole George Raft/ Jimmy Cagney thing, that’s a good one.

Triskeliae wrote:
Which episode you like the most?

I like I’ve Got a Little Song Here, and Monkee Mayor, especially the bit with the campaign fund contributions:
(Pete accidentally rips a cheque in two while opening an envelope)
Pete - Look! It's a half a cheque for a hundred dollars!
Mike - It's two halves of a hundred dollar cheque!
Pete - It's a cheque for two hundred dollars!
Mike - It's two cheques for fifty dollars?

I also really like their movie, Head (“Wait! Don’t move! I want to forget you just as you are!”)

Mostly though it's the albums I like, especially since Rhino have been so good at tracking down unreleased tracks and alternate versions. I’m also a huge fan of Mike’s solo albums - he’s done amazing stuff over the last nearly fifty years (including pioneering MTv, and home video sales), and hasn’t stopped yet.
I was lucky enough to meet them at a press conference for the 1997 UK tour with all four of them, and they were a great live show.
cigars of the beeper
#8 · Posted: 22 Apr 2008 20:21
There are a lot of huge houses in this town. It is an epidemic in the area. We call these huge houses McMansions, and I kind of assumed that since Peter Tork was really famous he must live in one of these giant houses. I've probably gone past his actual house a hundred times and not known it. (Stay calm, Jock and Triskeliae ;))
The name "Shoe Suede Blues" does ring a bell now that I have heard of that. They perform for local charity events sometimes.
Triskeliae
#9 · Posted: 25 Apr 2008 15:32
jock123 wrote:
(Pete accidentally rips a cheque in two while opening an envelope)
Pete - Look! It's a half a cheque for a hundred dollars!
Mike - It's two halves of a hundred dollar cheque!
Pete - It's a cheque for two hundred dollars!
Mike - It's two cheques for fifty dollars?

I also really like their movie, Head (“Wait! Don’t move! I want to forget you just as you are!”)

Oh Yeah! I remember those! LOL!
In Monkees Chow Mein, when they use the "psychological warfare" !
Davy starts attacking by telling the Chinese henchman:
" You're a nail-biter...and your mother never ever loved you!"
The man starts to get affected but soon he fights back when he tells Davy (he is the shortest one of the group):

" You are TOO SHORT! ....and have no ear for music!"
Davy looses his strenght and cries,
" Oh, Mike! Help me, Mike!"
Then Mike attacks back, saying to the henchman:
" You're ugly....ugly, ugly! Oooh are you ugly!
Nobody likes you, least of all, me!"
Priceless!
Triskeliae
#10 · Posted: 1 May 2008 02:06
cigars of the beeper wrote:
The name "Shoe Suede Blues" does ring a bell now that I have heard of that. They perform for local charity events sometimes.

Peter Tork wrote one of my favorite Monkees songs: For Pete's Sake.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!