Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Anime - Grave of the Fireflies

Bordurian Thug
#1 · Posted: 17 Jul 2008 08:55
[Moved from the "Introduce yourself" thread.]

IvanIvanovitch:
I have a companionable disgust for anime; no offense.

Have you ever seen Grave of the Fireflies? I defy any non-anime fan to watch that film and not be impressed. Here's a quote from Roger Ebert's review:

The locations and backgrounds are drawn in a style owing something to the 18th century Japanese artist Hiroshige and his modern disciple Herge (the creator of Tin Tin(sic.)). There is great beauty in them--not cartoon beauty, but evocative landscape drawing, put through the filter of animated style.

It's one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen.
Sapristi
#2 · Posted: 20 Aug 2008 01:25
Bordurian Thug:
I defy any non-anime fan to watch that film and not be impressed.

...and I defy anyone to watch that film and not cry at the end, heck, even just halfway through!

I'm a fan of most of Studio Ghibli's films, especially stuff by Hayo Miazaki, who made My Neighbour Totoro which, believe it or not, was originally part of a double-bill with Grave intended for Japanese schoolchildren to learn about what life was like in the 1940s and 50s in rural Japan. I just hope they stuck Totoro on last!
Tintinrulz
#3 · Posted: 20 Aug 2008 04:02
Grave of the Fireflies is very good but a really sad movie.
I enjoy all of Miyazaki's movies (except Pom Poko).
Also it was his mentor that directed this one. But Miyazaki was still involved.
Aurore
#4 · Posted: 20 Aug 2008 13:42
This movie broke my heart - I've only watched it the once although I have a copy of it. It was especially hard for me because my grandfather grew up in Japan in the 1920s and because I taught English there for a year. I visited Nagasaki and Hiroshima while I was there and both moved me to tears.
Harpy
#5 · Posted: 20 Aug 2008 16:33
I've heard of that film and want to see it, but i read about it and am now afraid to because I know I will cry.
Tintinrulz
#6 · Posted: 21 Aug 2008 02:57
Sometimes it's good to cry.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!