Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Jacques Tati: New film "The Illusionist" has been screened - Tati Lives!

jock123
#1 · Posted: 10 Jun 2010 00:12
For the Jacques Tati fans around here (and I know there are more than a few), I came across a link to this site, which has and interview with Sylvain Chomet, director of Bellville Rendez-Vous, and clips from his new animated feature The Illusionist (nothing to do with the Ed Norton movie), based on an unproduced Tati story, starring an animated version of the late great comic.
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 10 Jun 2010 13:11
Thanks for posting that link, Jock. Those clips look really brilliant, especially the west highlands scenes. I knew he was making the film here in Scotland, but I didn't know it had these Scottish locations. Definitely one to look forward to seeing on the big screen.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 10 Jun 2010 16:04
Balthazar:
Those clips look really brilliant, especially the west highlands scenes.

Don't they just? They have the air of melancholy needed to get the Tati-ness into it; I just hope the needed comedy is there too!
Balthazar:
I knew he was making the film here in Scotland,

And sadly by the time it gets a release I understand that his studio will be wound up; it failed to get backing for a couple of projects (so a big "Boo!" to BBC Scotland, who backed out of an animated "Scottish Simpsons" domestic sit-com, to be made in Edinburgh - in favour of all that non-Scottish stuff they do, like Film, SpringWatch etc. etc.), and the staff have been let go...
Balthazar:
I didn't know it had these Scottish locations.

Neither did I; I think that was contributed by Chomet, rather than being inherent in the Tati script itself.
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 30 Aug 2010 14:42
I went to see this yesterday, it was excellent, a superb animation. Chomet really brought Tati to life, and it's a very touching story too. I saw it at the Curzon Soho, in London (£7 on a Sunday early showing), but I think it's on general release in the UK as it's showing at a few Odeon Cinemas.
Highly recommended!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!