Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Doctor Who: Fifty Years Young...!

jock123
#1 · Posted: 23 Nov 2013 10:57
Well, fifty years ago today, the Doctor Who juggernaut began to roll.
I wasn't in quite at the start (I was around, but I can't say that I remember watching), but I know I was aware that The Doctor changed from a white-haired old man into a younger, dark-haired man, and I was watching avidly by the fifth season (cybermen, yetis and sea-weed, oh my!).
Jon Pertwee sealed my fate for me (he is "my" Doctor), and ensured my enthusiasm for the show.

So, who will be watching the 50th Anniversary episode tonight? It's being broadcast literally around the world (over 90 countries will show it), and getting put on in cinemas to take advantage that it has been made in 3D, so I guess a few people on here may be...

Happy birthday, Doctor Who!
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 25 Nov 2013 08:01
I've really been enjoying the celebrations. Between the official material and the fan-made content (like "The Doctor Games" - a "Hunger Games" parody and "Doctor Puppet (a charming stop-animation series), there's no shortage of good stuff to help usher in the 50 year anniversary.

The movie-length special "An Adventure in Time and Space" was fantastic, as was "The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot" (this one had a lot of of heart). The actual 50th anniversary story "The Day of the Doctor" was also quite good but not great. But between the three specials, we weren't left wanting.

My first doctors were Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. I first saw their adventures as repeats in the late 80's and early 90's.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 25 Nov 2013 18:38
I enjoyed all the specials (there's been a lot of good stuff on the radio too, which you should be able to get on iPlayer if you are quick, with documentaries and audio adventures and readings), and actually thought The Day of The Doctor (and its mini prequel The Night of The Doctor) was really, really good. For once Mr. Moffatt managed to tie up loose ends, create a comprehensible plot, take full advantage of the show's flexible format, add plausible new facets to the legend, and make a multi-Doctor story which didn't just rely on being a run-around.

The An Adventure in Space and Time movie was both beautiful in its attention to detail and evocation of the circumstances of Doctor Who's inception, and heart-breaking in the inevitable rise and fall of William Hartnell (without whom there would be no fiftieth anniversary...); I'm sure BAFTA nominations will follow!

And as for The Five(-ish) Doctors Reboot - well, I'd not imagined that you could get a bigger and more starry cast to follow the actual anniversary special, but they did! About as funny and warm a birthday treat as anyone could wish for, and well worth catching!

Loved John Hurt! Loved the Zygons being back, without being re-designed beyond recognition! Loved the bringing together of past, present and future Doctors!

Now roll on the Christmas Special!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!