Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / The Members Lounge /

[Moved] Plain English renderings

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

SingingGandalf
#11 · Posted: 7 May 2006 20:49
'these walls have ears' - hope that helps yamilah.
yamilah
#12 · Posted: 7 May 2006 21:21
Thanks SingingGandalf for answering.
yamilah
#13 · Posted: 12 Oct 2006 18:45 · Edited by: yamilah
- in Tintin and the Picaros, please what does the speech bubble read on page 61, frame 5 (2nd pasta scene) ?

- and in King Ottokar's Sceptre, please what does the dialogue box read, on page 44, frame 5?

Thanks in advance.
yamilah
#14 · Posted: 20 Oct 2006 15:14
And please would also someone be so kind to tell us the English rendering of the 'Victor Hugo' street with the falling pot, in the market scene from The Calculus Affair (big frame, around page 40)?

Thanks in advance.
Danagasta
#15 · Posted: 23 Oct 2006 00:38
I need the original French if you can provide it, Yamilah, and I'd be more than glad to do that. The problem is that I can't find my English version of it anywhere, and sometimes those translations aren't always quite right anyway.
Tintinrulz
#16 · Posted: 23 Oct 2006 04:53
Tintin and the Picaros (page 61, frame 5) says '...and I want my pasta cooked properly., d'you hear?... 'al dente', as we say at home in Italy.'

(Sorry I don't have King Ottokar's Sceptre to check that one).

The Calculus Affair (page 40) says 'Rve Victor Hugo'
yamilah
#17 · Posted: 23 Oct 2006 11:34 · Edited by: yamilah
Thanks Danagasta & Tintinrulz.

In Ottokar's Sceptre (p.44, f5), one of the Thompsons utter:
- 'Trois jours, leur dit Colomb, et je vous donne un monde'.

Then later in the same bubble they tell Ottokar they'll bring his sceptre back "pieds et poings lies".

What are the rendering in the English version? Thanks in advance.
Danagasta
#18 · Posted: 23 Oct 2006 14:36
"Three days, they told Columbus, and I'll give you a world." Looks like another Thompson Twin mix-up there.

The closest I can come to "pieds e points lies" is "hog-tied," but that's more American I think.
yamilah
#19 · Posted: 23 Oct 2006 19:59
Danagasta
Three days, they told Columbus, and I'll give you a world." ?
"hog-tied,"

Thanks for your responses, but what are the English version's real texts?
Danagasta
#20 · Posted: 23 Oct 2006 20:25
Ohhhhh, you're looking for the ones in the books....oops, sorry about that. I can't find my English version of either one for some reason...

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!