Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / The Members Lounge /

[Moved] Plain English renderings

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

jock123
#21 · Posted: 26 Oct 2006 10:28
I think it is something like: “We’ll bring you the sceptre, bound hand and foot.” I’ve always thought that was prime example of the inanity of the Thompsons, because it sounds like they are doing something, and means absolutely nothing.
yamilah
#22 · Posted: 26 Oct 2006 15:32
Thanks for your answer, jock123.
Tintinrulz
#23 · Posted: 27 Oct 2006 14:42
Well it does mean something - it means the Thompsons are complete idiots.
Captain Chester
#24 · Posted: 27 Oct 2006 19:10
Well it does mean something - it means the Thompsons are complete idiots.

Is it just me, or is that kind of obvious?

CC
yamilah
#25 · Posted: 9 Nov 2006 11:38
Please would someone be so kind to tell us about the official English rendering of Herge's original 'cle anglaise' ?
(Explorers on the Moon, page 47-A2+A3), and not page 45 as mentioned erroneously in Q83).

Thanks in advance.
labrador road 26
#26 · Posted: 9 Nov 2006 12:08
Please would someone be so kind to tell us about the official English rendering of Herge's original 'cle anglaise' ?

I don't understand your question. The tool is not mentioned in the text and the way it looks should be the same way it looks like in the french album.
The same as the one in this link, except brown.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Adjustable_wrench.j pg
jock123
#27 · Posted: 9 Nov 2006 12:31
labrador road 26
I don't understand your question. The tool is not mentioned in the text

I think that the question is quite clear really, and that the answer is more or less what you have said: yamilah obviously means that the French text actually uses the term for the tool, and the answer would be that the English text doesn’t refer to it at all (I’ve not checked, but I am more than happy to believe you!).

That’s not unusual really, as the translators had to fit their text into the size of bubbles provided (as well as dealing with other issues of plotting and continuity too complex to go into at this time), and the content was thus edited if needs be.
Harrock n roll
#28 · Posted: 9 Nov 2006 12:47 · Edited by: Harrock n roll
yamilah ...the official English rendering of Herge's original 'cle anglaise' ?
(Explorers on the Moon, page 47-A2+A3)

It’s “spanner”.

The sentences in the English text read “Then, having armed myself with a pistol and spanner...” and ”My spanner knocked his gun out of his hand.”
yamilah
#29 · Posted: 9 Nov 2006 13:20 · Edited by: yamilah
Harrock n roll
It’s “spanner”.

Thanks! For those who can't believe it, Herge's original page 47 with 'cle' (key) defined as 'anglaise' (English) can be seen (frames A2 + A3) on
Explorers on the Moon (page 20).
jock123
#30 · Posted: 9 Nov 2006 13:38
jock123
the answer would be that the English text doesn’t refer to it at all

Well that puts a clé anglaise in the works of that idea!

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!