Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Hergé: Centenary events - 2007

edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#1 · Posted: 29 May 2006 16:15
Objectiftintin.com and tintin.com (thanks Oliver!) have posted the itinerary for the events and new publications surrounding the centenary of Hergé's birth in 2007.

Of interest to English-speakers are:

A new biography by Michael Farr.
Tintin et Compagnie ("Tintin & Co", or perhaps "Tintin & Friends"?) by Michael Farr, a study of twelve main characters.
An international version, apparently in English, of the Chronologie d'une Œuvre series (discussed here).

Ed
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 29 May 2006 16:20
Sounds like some good stuff going on, might make a trip to see the Paris stuff as I went to see Brussels last summer.

Really looking forward to the new books, Michael Farr's book seems different to when he discussed it during the Tintin festival.

Rik
Richard
UK Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 29 May 2006 16:48
I think Tintin et Compagnie is the more pictorial of the two - Jane at the Tintin Shop mentioned it a while back.
I wonder if the international Chronologie is to coincide with the Pompidou exhibition, since that'll be made up of original artwork? Sort of like a more in-depth exhibition catalogue - but what will it contain? The first volume covers upto the end of Congo, and comparatively there's not much Tintin material. If it's a selection of the best material from the existing volumes then I was there first. :p.
Stas Werno
#4 · Posted: 1 Aug 2006 18:22
We got a little info package at the Tintin Shop a while ago, and sadly UK folks are getting very little in terms of events. A possible move of the play from the Barbican last year to the West End is all, I think.

We wouldn't mind if Michael Farr did a little talk, and we're sure he would be happy to oblige, but with the size of the shop and so on, it probably wouldn't be possible.

"...but what will it contain? The first volume covers upto the end of Congo, and comparatively there's not much Tintin material."

The series is moving very slowly :( I'd love to see some of Hergé's later pieces of art, when he moved from Tintin for a bit to pursue 'proper' art, but as you say the first volume only covers up to Congo so it may be a long way off. I think all we're getting is a translation of the first one.
edcharlesadams
#5 · Posted: 1 Aug 2006 22:35
I wonder who will be doing the translation? If it's Michael Farr he's going to be a very busy man over the next year or so!

I can imagine there'll be plenty of demands on Michael Turner and Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper's time too, but a short 'tour' of their talk on translation would be ideal.
Though from what I understand, the festivities are to be geared more towards the life of Hergé rather than simply Tintin, who's just had the milestones of being 75 and 77.

Ed
Stas Werno
#6 · Posted: 2 Aug 2006 11:32
yup the promo package definately said the emphasis was on hergé. i think it is farr that's doing the translation, and from what i hear he has indeed been a very busy man :/

Moderator Note: Please use proper punctuation/ upper- and lower-case letters when posting. Many thanks!
edcharlesadams
#7 · Posted: 13 Jan 2007 18:39
The provisional catalogue of releases appears to have been updated.

Michael Farr's new biography has the working title The Adventures of Hergé, and it seems that the English version of Chronologie d'une Œuvre will be called The Art of Hergé, also translated by Farr. Plus volume 3 of the Tintin & Snowy album series is due.

These are of course all subject to change.

Ed
tybaltstone
#8 · Posted: 6 Feb 2007 17:59
The Poet Zloty
#9 · Posted: 13 Feb 2007 11:04
The centenary is also being celebrated with a special Tintin Night at the National Film Theatre in London, on March 5th - they're showing the rare English language version of Tintin & The Golden Treasure (1961), as well as rare TV footage of Hergé speaking in English about Tintin.
I'm guessing this is your one and only chance to see this rare film on the big screen in the UK - ever!
LongLiveRock
#10 · Posted: 8 Apr 2007 01:30
I wish there was a special exhibit or something in the US, maybe at a Comics Museum, the Museum of Modern Art or The Andy Warhol museum in Pittsburg.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!