Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin in the Congo: The race row

Page  Page 13 of 13:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  11  12  13 

Lurker
#121 · Posted: 10 Apr 2012 12:25
glendale:
The way the natives of the time acted and thought is very close to what Hergé has written.

But the way the colonial rulers of the time acted in Congo may not have been very close to what Hergé wrote. Not at all.

King Leopold's Ghost is a good read.
glendale
#122 · Posted: 11 Apr 2012 01:06
I totally concur with what you are both saying and as far as the uncles go I don't fully agree with what they have done as they also were total totalitarians in all what was done. Just the fact of pushing their religion down the throats of the natives was bad enough and personally I have never liked this as what they believed in their minds is what they had learned the same as we all have done from our parents. This of course happened in all colonies when confronting the natives and in Australia the white masters have done the same. With the Congo I know that Leopold II always maintained that the Congo was his and for him to do as he wished whilst milking the country of all its riches of gold ivory etc. I guess we can discuss this for ever and maybe just maybe mankind can learn something from this. Will they??

Page  Page 13 of 13:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  11  12  13 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!