Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin and the Wikileaks Files

glendale
#1 · Posted: 10 Dec 2010 03:02
Reading the Daily Telegraph in Sydney to day there was an article on the controversial Julian Assange of Wikileaks being the hot topic. Shown are many photo's of his bunker in Sweden where all the files are being kept. One of the photo of the interior is of the "floating" boardroom and very clearly shows a minature of the Tintin lunar rocket. Obviously Julian also must be a Tintin fan, Interesting...
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/gallery/gallery-e6frewxi-1225968 600614?page=9
Captain Chester
#2 · Posted: 10 Dec 2010 09:18
Three things:
1. Nice job finding the picture, and thanks for sharing it with us.
2. What does everyone think of the statement that model makes? Does Assange see himself as some sort of Tintinesque figure, fighting against totalitarian government?
3. Man, what I wouldn't give to have a place like that...

CC
jock123
#3 · Posted: 10 Dec 2010 11:24
Er, from what I read on the Telegraph page, that's not Assange's bunker - it appears to be the HQ of the web-services company which hosts his site; so presumably - unless they host his toy collection too - the rocket belongs to a Scandinavian net-person.

It does have to be said though that the underground-lair style of bunker, crossed with a bit of the Bat-cave, is quite an appealing prospect; however, you have to bear in mind that to fit the interior into the pictures they are quite highly distorted panoramic montages (if you look at the floor tiling, it's the big give away), so that rather than being a sort of horse-shoe shape, the office with the man on the computer is probably quite a long corridor of a thing - albeit in a long, super cool, underground bunker with stylish conference room and fancy furniture kind of way...
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 10 Dec 2010 11:54
Amazing photos, it looks like a pretty cool place to work!
And regarding the floor tiles in the room with the rocket; I believe it's a reproduction of the surface of the moon, clearer on photo number 11 (maybe that explains the rocket?)

The photos do look quite strange, as if they've been created in Photoshop, although I think it's probably caused by the fisheye lens. Also, the last photo shows a full plan of the bunker, which looks to be quite extensive.
mct16
#5 · Posted: 10 Dec 2010 14:38
Captain Chester:
Does Assange see himself as some sort of Tintinesque figure, fighting against totalitarian government?

Strikes me as more the lair of a James Bond villain, the sort of underground caves in "You Only Live twice" or "Moonraker", which is appropriate given how I personally see Assange! More of the troublemaking sort like Blofeld or Doctor Doom!

Note: before the hacktivists launch an attack on my computer, might I point out that there is such a thing as "freedom of thought" and "freedom of expression".

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!