Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Tintin news and events /

Peppy & Virginny in Lapinoland: Fantagraphics Popol make-over

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

jock123
#11 · Posted: 1 Jul 2013 13:46
advnarayan:
But was this a new edition with a new translation, or a reprint of the translation done by Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper? I am confused.

Sorry, but if you read back in this thread, it is clear that this is a new translation with a new title, by Kim Thompson (before we had to edit together you posts from this and the other thread as mentioned above, you even said yourself that Amazon was listing it as a translated by Mr Thompson).

advnarayan:
If it's a reprint - I think the album will be out in the market sooner rather than later.

I'm not sure why you reach that conclusion - either way, new version or re-print, Fantagraphics have postponed it "indefinitely", so no indication for it being out "sooner", and a lot to make it look like later...

We just don't have enough to go on at the moment, and George's research into the state of their catalogue makes it seem that there is a lot to be resolved within the company at Fantagraphics before the schedule can be revised.
george
#12 · Posted: 2 Jul 2013 01:07
george:
My guess is that some will now be dropped and others rescheduled

Confirmation of the same here. The key part being (my emphasis):

"I believe there were 14 of Kim's foreign language books scheduled in the next season," Gary Groth told CR. "We intend to publish a couple of them, but there's no way we can handle the majority. Some will be postponed to publish at a later date and some, sadly, will be cancelled." Groth stressed positive news for one of Kim's most well-received recent projects. "We certainly hope to continue publishing Tardi, who was among Kim's favorite cartoonists."

George
advnarayan
#13 · Posted: 3 Jul 2013 04:16
First of all, I owe an apology: ought to have read the previous messages in detail before jumping the gun.
Regarding "sooner than later": frankly it's the optimistic optimist in me speaking - it's my desire, my fervent wish, that Peppy and Virginny would be published "sooner than later".
The listings of this book shows the cover jacket "subject to correction" - aren't jackets designed and released closer to the book publication date?
Mr. Thompson had bee diagnosed with cancer in February or March and had taken leave of absence from Fantagraphics in March 2013. The release date of Peppy and Virginny was scheduled for July 11th 2013. Wouldn't Mr. Thompson have finished the work on an album scheduled for July by March? That's the belief I have - ehe eternal optimist
george
#14 · Posted: 2 Sep 2013 22:59
Amazon currently has all the suspended Fantagraphics books, including this, scheduled for next year. But experience shows it is often the case for them to invent a publication date when they've no hard information.

This quote makes me much more pessimistic.

'Over the last decade, Kim spent more and more of his time working on European books," he says. "So the most concrete and tangible consequence of his death will be to cut back—but by no means eliminate—our European line. We will continue publishing a number of authors, including Jacques Tardi, Jason, and many artists of the following generation [such as Uli Lust]."'

George
jock123
#15 · Posted: 3 Sep 2013 08:09 · Edited by: jock123
advnarayan:
aren't jackets designed and released closer to the book publication date?

No - jackets (or at least concepts for jackets) are usually the first thing produced, so that the publisher can carry out preliminary marketing to the trade. Catalogues are prepared to maximise the time in which sales people can solicit orders at book fairs and events; thus publishers will produce "dummies", which are often no more than blank pages cut to size, with an ink-jet printed version of a cover concept wrapped round it, so that it can be photographed, or sat in a display so that buyers for bookshops can see it. Much of this will even be carried out on the computer these days - a physical "model" need not even be made, if it isn't to be exhibited anywhere.
It's very often at this stage that the publisher will get feed-back from the trade, which might influence the design, so the cover very often changes before it is finally released.
The "subject to change" warning is to prevent there being any sort of dispute if a trade buyer finds that the book he recieves is different to the one he saw months before.
An example of this closer to home is that at some point a dummy cover was produced showing the title Tintin and the Broken Ear, which has appeared on the back of the albums, and been used for publisher's lists and to sell the book on line for many years, even although the book has (as far as can be told) only ever carried the words The Broken Ear on the cover (although Tintin and the Broken Ear may have been used on the spine.

advnarayan:
Mr. Thompson had bee diagnosed with cancer in February or March and had taken leave of absence from Fantagraphics in March 2013.

This line of enquiry is border-line unacceptable as it is becoming very intrusive and insensitive, and should end here - it really isn't up to us to discuss the health issues and work-load of anyone, especially someone who has died.
Suffice it to say that we can't and shouldn't speculate as to how ill Mr. Thompson may have been prior to his diagnosis, we can't say at what stage the production of the book was, nor is it our place to do so.
Please bear in mind that this is a public forum, which could be read by friends, colleagues and family members, so it isn't nice to make it seem that the publication of a book is more important than their loss.

If the book is to come out, it will come out, and it is pointless to keep on in this manner.

george:
the most concrete and tangible consequence of his death will be to cut back—but by no means eliminate—our European line

Thanks for the update, George.
As mentioned above, we will just have to wait and see.
Jon God
#16 · Posted: 11 May 2016 07:38
Has there been any update to this? It's been sitting in my wishlist for a long time, but I didn't realize there was a chance it wasn't coming out... Anyone have any inside information that could shed light on the future of it?
mct16
#17 · Posted: 11 May 2016 12:46
I think that your best bet would be to contact Fantagraphics and ask if there is any progress.
jock123
#18 · Posted: 11 May 2016 13:46 · Edited by: jock123
Jon God:
Has there been any update to this?

I would say that, given three years have passed, it's safe to assume that it has been dropped - had anyone information to the contrary, it would have been posted here.

I'm not certain that there is anything to gain by pursuing the matter, really; as I indicated above, if it happens, it happens.
george
#19 · Posted: 5 Mar 2017 00:14
I know relying on Amazon listings is a fool's game, but as that fool I see Fantagraphics has a new listing for this volume on the US site. Now under a new name and a cover that I don't recognise - 'Peppy In The Wild West' (September).

The original listing (see this thread's first post) is still there, so at least this isn't just an Amazon bump.

I'll believe it when I see it. If the similarly delayed M. Tillieux book turns up in July then that'll be a good sign.

george
jock123
#20 · Posted: 5 Mar 2017 13:08
Another excellent spot there, george! I'll see if I can get any more information from Fantagraphics about it, to confirm what it is.
The cover is interesting, and the title more manageable, so let's hope it's happening and a success! :-)

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!