Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Artcurial Comic Art Auction: Februray 23rd 2013 in Paris

jock123
#1 · Posted: 23 Feb 2013 12:40
Sorry it’s at such short notice, but Artcurial are having one of their regular comic art actions today (at two o’clock this afternoon, to be precise…).
No Hergé stuff that I can see, but there several lots relating to his studio - items from Bob de Moor, Edgar P. Jacobs and Jacques Martin, as well as a lovely Blake and Mortimer sketch by one of the later artists.

There are also many other fine items - an early Felix the Cat strip, excellent Milton Caniff pieces and works by Robert Crumb, Yves Challand, Charles Burns and more.

UPDATE: I’ve just found the Hergé lots - had managed to click past them - from 162 to 168 in the catalogue.

You can download the auction catalogue as a PDF, and soak up the art at leisure, here.
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 23 Feb 2013 15:40
I spotted this auction a couple of weeks ago and promised myself that if I won the lottery I would buy the two panels from the "Le Soir" version of Les 7 Boules Des Cristal. Not only one of the best books of the series (in my opinion), but the ball lightning sequence is one of my favourites - and also, these panels weren't published in the book giving them an added curiosity value; Hergé redrew a larger panel for the entrance of the ball lightning leaving these out of the final book.

I recently got a copy of the book Les Mystères des 7 Boules de cristal, which is a re-publication of the "Le Soir" version of the story as it appeared in daily strips (more about that in this thread). Note, in the panel numbered 163 of the catalogue Haddock originally shouts "La foudre!", which is French for "Lightning!". The lettering has been whited out, or by the looks of it completely cut out, perhaps with the intention of having it in the final book? I also love the solo Haddock panel (number 164 in the catalogue) of him jumping clear of the ball. This was adapted and incorporated into the larger panel that Hergé redrew for the book, allowing him another chance to have Haddock lose yet another monocle.

Needless to say, I haven't won the lottery, so good luck to whoever can afford to have a punt on them...

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!