Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Tintin news and events /

Digital Editions: New English translations by Michael Farr

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

timothevs
#21 · Posted: 1 Jun 2017 15:00
jock123

Thank you for a very insightful reply to my rather visceral reaction post. Indeed it does explain why the digital editions are so far removed from the print. It does make sense from a fiscal standpoint. They don't have rights and they don't want to pay an arm and a leg to get them. Cheaper alternative - pay for a retranslation.

That said, from my standpoint, the retranslation makes it feel like a different comic altogether. I am not a purist in that I didn't mind the relettering, I welcomed it even, as the new lettering made good use of the white space/density as you pointed out.

However, with the retranslation, the changes are subtle, but the retranslation seems to have robbed a lot of character out of the more colorful inhabitants of the Tintin world. Haddock for instance, who always came across as a bit of a gruff, rough around the edges sailor, has gotten a makeover to sound more refined (stupid versus my fine fellow - Prisoners of the Sun). It just is not the same character I grew up knowing and loving (and I've been rereading for the last 35 years).

Examples abound. I bought ten albums in total, as I love reading Comics on my iPad Pro (12.9" screen), and the prospect of reading my favorite books in digital at the tap of a button was just too delicious to not avail at this price point per album.

As for the question you brought up, from where I stand, no, not in the very least. I don't think the new texts do the albums justice. I may be biased as I have never read the French originals, but I have read the English versions for over 35 years, and this ain't it. Just my $0.02.
jock123
#22 · Posted: 1 Jun 2017 18:25
timothevs:
Thank you for a very insightful reply to my rather visceral reaction post.

No problem! We all get more like Haddock as we grow older, I fear, no matter how much we wish to be even-tempered like Tintin! ;-)

timothevs:
It just is not the same character I grew up knowing and loving (and I've been rereading for the last 35 years).

It's difficult, I know (and I have been a fan for close to 50 years!), but perhaps the availability of a new translation might be more acceptable to a younger readership? I don't know if the MT&LL-C translations may seem dated, so if it does engage a different audience, then maybe that's a good thing?
I found the change in lettering also changed the "sound" of the characters, so I know how you feel.
I know one thing, I certainly won't be getting rid of my original translation (and original-lettered - I am a purist to that extent!) Methuens and Egmonts!

We have been incredibly lucky to have had such fantastic translations of the books in English, and it's good to know that you have enjoyed them so much over the years!
harrocknroll
#23 · Posted: 20 Jun 2017 21:32 · Edited by: Moderator
I see the books are now on iTunes, with Land of Black Gold, Prisoners of the Sun, and Seven Crystal Balls newly translated and ready for sale.
I am irked that on iTunes the cost is £2.99, whilst on the Tintin app they are still £3.99!

Moderator Note: Please watch things like punctuation and upper- and lower-case when posting - it just makes everything easier to read if you do! Thanks! (Your post has been amended.)
The Tidy Tintinologist Team

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!