Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Anchor Bay: New Tintin Movie DVD box set (Nov 2005)

Page  Page 5 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

doubleT
#41 · Posted: 26 Feb 2006 23:50
Just want to make absolutely double sure: is the DVD box set going to be spoken in English?
If anyone answers by saying “dubbed in English”, does dubbed mean spoken?

Also, is it possible to put in an order for the DVD set before it actually gets released, and is there anywhere I can see some stills from two of the movies, Temple of the Sun and The Calculus Affair?
labrador road 26
#42 · Posted: 27 Feb 2006 11:55
I'd have preferred to see the two live action films on DVD - that would really have been something special - but this is nice, and hopefully if it sells well enough Anchor Bay might release other titles. A blue orange, anyone? :)

Maybe I misunderstand you. But the two live action films ARE released on dvd, since about two years ago. They are very available in Sweden so they shouldn't be so hard to find. They cost about 5 pounds each.
http://www.discshop.se/shop/ds_produkt.php?lang=&id=34173&subsite=movi es&&ref=

http://www.discshop.se/shop/ds_produkt.php?lang=&id=34174&subsite=movi es&&ref=

Found this tv-series I've never heard of before. Can anyone shed some more light about this:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432672/
Harrock n roll
#43 · Posted: 27 Feb 2006 13:33
Richard It seems Anchor Bay have updated their list of Tintin releases

Indeed, on the anchor Bay site the titles have been updated to:

• L'affaire tournesol (The Calculus Case, 1961), dir. Ray Goossens
• Tintin et le temple du soleil (Tintin and the Temple of the Sun 1969), dir. Eddie Lateste
• Tintin et le lac aux requins (Tintin and the Lake of Sharks, 1972), dir. Raymond Leblanc

They don't seem to have made their minds up about the date of The Calculus Case; 1961 in their list and 1964 on the box. And I've heard from a fairly reliable source that it is in fact 1965...! ;o)

doubleT does dubbed mean spoken?

Yes, in this case it means it was originally in French and actors have ‘dubbed’ an English soundtrack onto it. Whether this is a new dub or not remains to be seen. Hopefully their words match the lip movement!

labrador road 26 the two live action films ARE released on dvd

I think a ‘dubbed’ version, in English, is what is being referred to here.

Found this tv-series I've never heard of before

In order to keep things on topic here please post any comments about the Quick and Flupke cartoons to this thread.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#44 · Posted: 29 Mar 2006 18:54
My box set arrived this morning. On the whole, it's a pretty good release ! As far as I can see, the versions are the same as the Five broadcasts, although I haven't watched all of Temple yet, so I am unable to say whether both songs are included or not.

The packaging is well done - the DVDs are inside individual transparent cases, housed in a sturdy cardboard sleeve, much like the 75th Anniversary box set, although the boxes are full-size in this set.

The only real downside is that the Lake Of Sharks script is missing from the disc. The others are included on each disc (not just the corresponding one). The Calculus Affair script is typewritten, suggesting it is the original from the dubbing session ! Strangely, it has 'Thirteenth Episode' written at the end ...

The DVD menus are asthetically pleasing on the whole, and include an animated introduction. The scene selection menu uses a filmstrip with various re-coloured stills from the movies, with bits in colour and black and white. The subtitles seem to follow the scripts exactly, by the way.

On the whole, a very good release, with only a few bad points. An A+ for Anchor Bay from me, anyway ! :o)
SingingGandalf
#45 · Posted: 29 Mar 2006 19:33
The Calculus Affair script is typewritten, suggesting it is the original from the dubbing session ! Strangely, it has 'Thirteenth Episode' written at the end ...

'The Calculus case' as it is correctly called was not a film, but TV episode. I believe the 'thirteenth episode' may refer to the fact that the Belevision episodes were divided into 13 5 minute instalments, shown at the cinema I believe.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#46 · Posted: 29 Mar 2006 20:47
'The Calculus case' as it is correctly called was not a film, but TV episode.

I am well aware of that fact, SingingGandalf, and I never said it was a film ! ;o) However, there are two versions of this cartoon, one entitled "The Calculus Case" and another entitled "The Calculus Affair", with a different set of voice artists. The former was released by Virgin Video in the late 80s, whereas the latter is the version included in this release.

... shown at the cinema I believe.

They were actually shown on television, as far as I know.
SingingGandalf
#47 · Posted: 30 Mar 2006 16:57
I am well aware of that fact, SingingGandalf, and I never said it was a film

It's suprising though why the 2 Belevision films come with an episode, don't you think?

However, there are two versions of this cartoon, one entitled "The Calculus Case" and another entitled "The Calculus Affair", with a different set of voice artists. The former was released by Virgin Video in the late 80s, whereas the latter is the version included in this release.

This is probably because they have been re-translated and dubbed from french to english. I'm very glad they've done that. The old dubbing is dodgy, and the title music still says 'les aventures de Tintin' as the voice booms 'Herge's adventures of Tintin'. Then the screen goes black and the episode title pops up in english. This is clearly just blocked out the french wording and hastely and primitavely re-done. On 'the shooting stars' it even says 'the star of mystery'. On the back of one of the Virgin videos it refers to Calculus as 'Tournesol'. This really needs to be all re-done by people who know what they're doing and undestand Tintin. Maybe Leslie lonsdale Cooper could do it.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#48 · Posted: 30 Mar 2006 17:21
This is probably because they have been re-translated and dubbed from french to english. I'm very glad they've done that.

As far as I know, both are old versions, one using the same cast as the Temple movie and one featuring a North American cast. Very unusual !
jockosjungle
#49 · Posted: 6 Apr 2006 08:33
Did anyone get the free copy of Tintin et Moi from Play? I was one of the first to order and didn't get one, not that bothered as I already have it but it was advertised for the first few orders

Rik
heruursmith
#50 · Posted: 6 Apr 2006 12:53
doubleT:
Just want to make absolutely double sure: is the DVD box set going to be spoken in English?

Yes the movies are spoken in English. The Calculus Affair is pretty dire (sorry if that sounds harsh). The animation is shocking and the story is not really very logical and well constructed. Even the background artwork depicting the scenarios isn't up to much...

It is still cool to see this movie after wondering all these years what the quality it like of those Belvision Tintin adventures. It is a nice 'curiosity' in my collection if you like.

The other movies in this set have their weak points. But they also have some beautiful scenes and animation.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Peruvian adventure artwork and animation (for the most part). There were times that it shows great direction and sensitivity in it's portrayal of the landscape and action. The bits from The Seven Crystal Balls that are missing are a big loss though. Zorrino's song was moving (even though in French) and I was able to enjoy this movie even without the bits from the book that were missing and the curious addition of the Thompson twins throughout.

The Lake of Sharks is fun and again has a much better style of drawing and painting throughout. It doesn't have to be a good 'copy' of a Tintin book because it is an original story, so perhaps that makes me more tolerant of it and able to enjoy it for what it is.

Kamael

Page  Page 5 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!