Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Does the word Tintin mean anything in your language?

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

celalli
#1 · Posted: 8 Sep 2005 12:44
It is not that widely used but the word 'tintin' has got a meaning in Turkish.

From Redhouse Turkish- English dictionary;
Tintin: (walking) very quietly and cautiously. (walking) tiptoe

Has the word tintin got any meaning in your language or in any language you know?
yamilah
#2 · Posted: 8 Sep 2005 13:44
celalli
From Redhouse Turkish- English dictionary; Tintin: (walking) very quietly and cautiously.

Such a calm behaviour seems to match with most of Tintin's one!

Has the word tintin got any meaning in your language (...)?

There's a French expression containing that word...
Please see old topic Apr 4, 2005 06:37:36 here
https://www.tintinologist.org/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=1&topic=219&page=3
jock123
#3 · Posted: 9 Sep 2005 13:32
I suppose that as “tin” and “can” are synonymous in English, then “Tintin” is synonomous with “Can-can”, the popular French dance, or indeed could be two cans, e.g. “toucan”, the popular Guinness drinking bird…
igagli
#4 · Posted: 9 Sep 2005 14:54
Tintin means boy's penis in Japanese.
So, he was renamed Tantan. It has no meaning.
celalli
#5 · Posted: 18 Sep 2005 09:42
It was amazing for me to learn what tintin means in Japanese (both of the two meanings).
When I was asking if the word tintin has meaning in any language, Japanese and Chinese were the two from which I expected an answer to come.

They use the word tintin in Eritrea (Africa) for a game.

From Childhood Games of Yesterday (Part 1) - Amanuel Sahle, Jul 18, 2005
Tintin (not to the confused with the Belgian comic strip character, Tintin) a game for two people kicked the ball towards each other. This type of the football by the way, is recommended for husband and wife, who are tried of throwing insults at each other for change.
Tintin was also played by head butting the ball to-and-fro between two players.
Tintinrulz
#6 · Posted: 4 Oct 2005 08:08
The only places I've heard Tintin in the English language is our hero, and in the word tintinabulation.
Also there is a town a few hours drive from where I live called Tintinara.
Pilote
#7 · Posted: 6 Oct 2005 15:31
Tintin means boy's penis in Japanese.
So, he was renamed Tantan. It has no meaning.

Hello Igagli!

I think another reason he is called Tantan in Japanese because the original pronunication in French sounds like Tantan.

So the romaji is written as タンタン
GurraJG
#8 · Posted: 14 Oct 2005 09:52
Over at the Swedish Wikipedia, we're having a bit of a problem, since some people claim that the word "Tintin" means "nothing at all" in French, while some say it does not. I have searched extenisively around the web, in books, and the other wikis, but have not found any signs that "Tintin" means "nothing at all". So, I'm wondering, does anyone here know if the word "Tintin" means "nothing at all", or anything else, in French, and if it does, is it slang or an official word. I would also appriciate it if you had some source to back it up. Thanks for any help.

-Gustav
yamilah
#9 · Posted: 14 Oct 2005 11:53
GurraJG
does anyone here know if the word "Tintin" means "nothing at all"

'Tintin!' can be rendered by 'Forget about it!'. It isn't slang, but a 'familiar interpellation'.

As explained in April 2005 on another thread, 'faire tintin' means 'to be deprived of something', in other words 'to be frustrated'. Both expressions can be found in the Larousse dictionary, among others. Concerning the origin of this 'frustrating' Tintin, please see here.

PS: By the way, do TIM, TINTIM or the plain syllable TIN mean anything in the various Scandinavian languages?
rue du labrador
#10 · Posted: 2 Feb 2006 17:47
I once opened a French dictionary in the school libary to find tintin means "no way!"
Is it maybe a colloquialism?

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!