Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Does the word Tintin mean anything in your language?

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Ginger_Tuft
#21 · Posted: 26 Dec 2011 11:07
Tintin is my English teacher's nickname...lol. And she's a girl!

I read in a magazine that Tintin is short for Martin, and a popular French nickname for people with the name Martin, but since they also referred to Tintin's quiff or tuft as 'bangs,' I'm not trusting them on this one.
tintinroxs
#22 · Posted: 2 Mar 2012 01:05
In the English language, there's this word that's close to Tintin and it means the ringing of bells.
tintinsgf
#23 · Posted: 3 Mar 2012 08:43
In Indonesian it is a "sound effect*" for cars' horn. While in English you use the word "honk" to describe a car's horn sound, in Indonesian you use the word "TINTIIIN!!"(<- note that I use caps lock for loud sounds XD)

*I forgot the exact term for kinds of words like this, is it called cacophony?
NikkiRoux
#24 · Posted: 4 Mar 2012 05:34
tintinsgf:
I forgot the exact term for kinds of words like this, is it called cacophony?

It's called onomatopoeia.
Star Child
#25 · Posted: 4 Mar 2012 07:18
Nein! But in flemish, 'faire tintin' means 'to go without'. 'Tintin' alone means 'nothing' or 'nobody'.
How's that?
tintinsgf
#26 · Posted: 4 Mar 2012 12:35
NikkiRoux:
It's called onomatopoeia.

Thank you for the reminder!

Star Child:
'Tintin' alone means 'nothing' or 'nobody'.

Really? In Flemish? I thought it means nothing (<-don't confuse this). But just correct me if I am wrong anyway. As far as I remember too, "Tintin" is the onomatopoeia for glasses' toast in French.

Speaking about nicknames (or given names), I think this (a dentist's signpost, somewhere in Indonesia!) could give you something interesting ;).
Star Child
#27 · Posted: 5 Mar 2012 17:30
Cool! I've actually never thought of his name as an onomatopoeia. Priceless! Nice work, Tintinsgf!
ilovetintin
#28 · Posted: 28 Aug 2012 04:04
Tintinrulz:
there is a town a few hours drive from where I live called, "Tintinara."

Where do you live? It sounds awesome!
grouchysmurf
#29 · Posted: 2 Oct 2012 15:05
In Malaysia," ting-ting" means hop scotch and "titi" means little bridge. I don't know about the Indonesians cause they are a little different.
Emdy
#30 · Posted: 6 Mar 2013 13:27
In the Paradiso, tin-tin is used as onomatopoeia for the chiming of a bell.

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!