Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Haddock: Are the adventures without him better than those he is in?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Tintinrulz
#11 · Posted: 17 Nov 2005 06:42
The only negative I see in the adventures after Haddock's debut is the decreasing role of Snowy and how much he talks. But Haddock is a huge plus for the series.
23duff
#12 · Posted: 21 Nov 2005 00:42
I may be a bit strange here but I don't mind Wagg, he adds something to the latter adventures. As for Haddock, he is essential to the dynamic of the primary group of characters (Tintin, Snowy, Haddock & Calculus). They all really add a great deal to the novels and make them more than just a solve it, kind of "boys own" detective series. The book "The Castafiore Emerald" being an example of that, nothing really happens per se compared to the other novels but it works so well because of the comedy within the group.
Tintinrulz
#13 · Posted: 21 Nov 2005 01:21
I don't mind Wagg either. He's ment to be annoying to the reader in a funny way. Everyone knows the dodgy salesman/insurance man type and Herge is playing with that stereotype.
colombani
#14 · Posted: 4 Dec 2005 16:03
Well put Mondrian. I agree with everything you wrote about how Tintin develops and stands in relation to Haddock, and the necessity of Haddock to the series being as good as it is. As for Wagg, he is really the captain's nemesis, the one who the captain can stand least of all. For Haddock, even 'The Jewel Song' would be tolerable compared to Wagg.
Furienna
#15 · Posted: 17 Feb 2019 14:29
Captain Haddock is simply great. Even though I know that I should re-read the early albums again, they just lack something that Captain Haddock brings to the mix.
RicardoOlcese
#16 · Posted: 20 Feb 2019 21:51
Without Haddock, who would have lead the Aurora towards the meteorite? Who would have given our friends a fortune, and the chance to live in Moulinsart? Who would have been spat by a llama? Who would have foolishly endangered the expedition to the Moon? Who would have rescued Tintin with a simple, and at the same time complicated appearance? Who wouldn't have done much when Prof. Calculus was kidnapped by Borduria, or when Tchang was kidnapped by a Himalayan bear? Who would be Bianca's fiancé? Eh? Tell me! Who? Nobody. Only Capt. Haddock can fill that essential role.
Shivam302001
#17 · Posted: 21 Feb 2019 03:53
RicardoOlcese

I agree with you that the Captain helps in spicing things up in the adventures. But just to be sure, it is not a Himalayan bear but a yeti.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!